Alpha drive seems hard to go down

TexMonty

Seaman
Hi everyone. I joined a while back and mostly read and learn. I have been out of boats for while but am a mechanic type so I can usually figure things out. What I don't have is experience with Mercruiser. I bought a 2008 Monterey 234FS with 5.0 Alpha I gen II drive with 150 hours In October 2014. The wife and I used the boat several times and everything worked flawlessly. I pulled it from it's slip, winterized it and have been working around the weather installing new speakers, some electronics etc. The drive was left almost 100% down. I was installing the transducers on the transom yesterday and ran the drive up to get it out of my way. When I went to run it down the hydraulic pump started as usual but the drive did not want to go down. It would kind of jump (or it felt like it jumped) a little at a time and kind of make a sound like dry rubber squeaking. Reservoir was full etc. It finally made it down but squeaks and the pump acts like is laboring and maybe relieving (if it has a relief?). So it was almost dark so I had to leave it for the day. I ordered my service manual from Iboats today and did a search and did not see much, but then I am new to this forum. Any help until I get my book? Thanks in advance - great site!!!

Bruce

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome: to iboats Bruce

With it jumping I'm thinking either there is a bit of water somewhere in a location which has froze, check valves are sticking, or air in the line. If it's real cold where your at it could be possible. Is the fluid still sort of clear without bubbles? Here is a link to a pdf copy of the trim system and some trouble shooting
http://web.cemr.wvu.edu/~mathews/boat/pdf/manual/Chapter Eighteen.PDF

TexMonty

Seaman
Thanks AllDodge - I am in Texas and although it was cold for a while it was 65 Saturday and Sunday - I will read through the bulletin - thanks so much

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Nope, that's a corroded end cap. The seal in the top has leaked and now the aluminum cap has corroded and expanded and is grabbing the rod. In the past I have tried many times to repair one of these, but the only fix that really works is replacing the cap...

Chri

Fun Times

Staff member
Click on item #20 "part number" in the first link below for a photo of the end cap.

Typically what Chris describes is a common issue especially since the boat sits in the water. As a test, you could try greasing the inner rod/ram to see if it helps smooth out the movement as you run it up and down a few times...But a new cap is recommended. You'll want to remove the anode assembly to inspect the outside cap the best you can and for the greasing test should you decide to give it a try. Good luck.:)

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...nbr=230&bdesc=POWER+TRIM+CYLINDER+REPAIR+KITS

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=809759+98

TexMonty

Seaman
WOW - thanks so much to all - I will check her out this weekend. We are supposed to have some good weather again. Hopefully I can repay people's help as I learn.

TexMonty

Seaman
Update - I replaced both rams this weekend and it now trims in and out perfectly. Ordered rebuild kits for the rams I took off and will keep them for the next time this happens.

Thanks again for the great help.

Bruce