SeaRay 200 with SCB 350 (87-95). Edebrock Crosswind Intake 2604 or Std intake 2104

monette999

Seaman Apprentice
Dear Forum,
I have decided not to go with an marine intake. they are very expensive. A 2104 is about $130 USD & 2506 is $350.
Hard Coating is $40 Dollar. Will use an std intake, but will alu hard eloxating the intake. This ensures always a nice outer finish.

Using my boat only on fresh water.

Since I always had hard starts when engine was hot I would like to hear you experience with the CrossWind Type of intake.

Will it increase the height of the engine & will it cause a package issue with a Edelbrock 1409 and flame arrestor.

Currently I am running a stock mercuiser 2bbl and flame arrestor.

Looking for your feedback.

Greetings Bob Hard eloxation / hard anodizing
Hard eloxation is a variation of anodic oxidation in which layers 25-200 ?m thick are created. The hard eloxal technique generates a very hard, ceramic-like surfaced on the aluminum with high wear resistance. The pressure resistance of hard eloxated aluminum surfaces is comparable with hardened steel or hard chrome layers.
This method, used especially for technical applications, creates surfaces in colors ranging from grayish brown to anthracite to black (depending on the aluminum alloy). Hard eloxating is suitable for wrought alloys and for cast alloys (die casting, chill casting). This method is not suitable for producing sharp edges.
Advantages
  • Ceramic-like surface
  • Layer thicknesses of 25-200 ?m
  • 50% increase in the thickness of a lawyer
  • Tolerances up to ? 10 ?m
  • Very high, even hardness up to 500 HV
  • High level of wear and abrasion resistance
  • Very high corrosion resistance
  • The eloxal layer is electrically nonconductive
  • Reduced thermal conductivity
  • Outstanding adhesive surface

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I had to google a "CrossWind Type of intake" - I see it is the same as the Edelbrock air gap manifold. The primary advantage (advertized advantage) of an air gap manifold is that it allows cooler air to be drawn into the cylinders. Cooler air is more dense than hot air, which results in more power. I don't think it it address your hot start problem. I like an air gap manifold... but I don't think it will make that much difference.

Regarding your clearance, there shouldn't be that much difference... but how much room do you have between your doghouse and the top of the flame arrester?

Bondo

Staff member
I had to google a "CrossWind Type of intake" - I see it is the same as the Edelbrock air gap manifold. The primary advantage (advertized advantage) of an air gap manifold is that it allows cooler air to be drawn into the cylinders. Cooler air is more dense than hot air, which results in more power. I don't think it it address your hot start problem. I like an air gap manifold... but I don't think it will make that much difference.

Regarding your clearance, there shouldn't be that much difference... but how much room do you have between your doghouse and the top of the flame arrester?

Ayuh,..... Same here,.... Edlebrock, 'n Crosswind got nothin' to do with each other,....

I don't see much of any problem with 'em,....

Never heard of the finish yer talkin' 'bout,....

Sour/ saltwater eats the water passages, more so than the exposed outer finish,....
Aluminum Marine intakes have bronze water passages cast into 'em,......

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was going to ask the same question about a intake I'm doing my 350 and was thinking on a automotive intake, So I guess is a nope and my boat will run only in salt water.

Volphin

Lieutenant
A dual plane manifold is more conducive to higher torque applications. You may notice a lack of low end "grunt" with a single plane. Eddy has Al manifolds and heads with a black protective coating internally. I have examined them at a tradeshow, but do not know if they are ceramic based. They were marketed for performance marine applications... saltwater I assume.

monette999

Seaman Apprentice
A dual plane manifold is more conducive to higher torque applications. You may notice a lack of low end "grunt" with a single plane. Eddy has Al manifolds and heads with a black protective coating internally. I have examined them at a tradeshow, but do not know if they are ceramic based. They were marketed for performance marine applications... saltwater I assume.

How much is Eddy asking for the manifold?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Not to speak for Mr Volphin... but I think "Eddy" refers to Edelbrock. ;)

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm sorry... yes I meant Edelbrock. I'm used to abbreviating it. (I know Vic. He builds great stuff. Including daughters.) ;)