boat will not go onto plane

rough rider

Cadet
The boat is running much better. I still have one problem, when I give it full throttle from a standstill it dies. If I ease into it then it runs pretty well. Accelerator pump I am guessing but it is new and I checked the linkage when I put it in. The linkage is good I think. Maybe that check ball in the bottom isn't sealing and pushing the fuel back through instead of to the intake?

Fun Times

Staff member
Try re-checking your spark plugs to ensure they're not fuel soaked/fouled.

On your carburetor model, does the accelerator pump have any adjustment holes where the linkage connects to? if so, you could be on the wrong setting.

You really should confirm your fuel pressure at the carb. If the fuel pump has been changed and the wrong size pump gasket/s and mounting plate between pump and block were used, then it could affect fuel pressure. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/489497-bad-mercruiser-fuel-pump

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=985&bnbr=4&bdesc=FUEL+PUMP+AND+FUEL+FILTER

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=75999

Good luck.:)

rough rider

Cadet
I will check the plugs and as for the linkage I am not sure. I will double check that but what I did was line up the linkage where it would fit and went with it. Maybe there was another option for it. I will check it out tonight.
I suppose I can put a gauge on the outlet of the water separator but up by the carb it is connected with rigid tubing.

thumpar

Admiral
Look down the carb while someone pushes the control forward (not running). You should see a squirt of fuel if the accelerator pump is working correctly.

rough rider

Cadet
No adjustment on the linkage.
I ran the engine for a few minutes and shut it down, looked down the carb while I gave it throttle and no squirt. I can see it coming from the cluster when it is running and I pump the throttle but nothing from the accelerator pump while it is off.
I guess the carb is coming off again to see what I did wrong. I know I put that ball in there and the pump was new but maybe the wrong size cup came with it.
It got dark before I could get to check the plugs but I will do that tomorrow and check the gap. Anyone know what the gap is supposed to be?

rough rider

Cadet
Took the carb back off. The check ball was not in the hole. Messed around with the accelerator pump and ball and it worked fine on the bench. Put it back on the engine and it worked great for a few minutes then same problem again. I am starting to think that I am using the wrong diameter ball. I know the smaller one goes in there but if I did in fact use the wrong one, is this what would happen? I am going to pull it back off tomorrow to check it out. How far in should the correct ball go?

alldodge

Staff member
Normally I would not say this, but it your case, I would suggest buying another carb. Some one has messed with this one

rough rider

Cadet
I am thinking the same thing. The carb has been an on gong problem but I am stubborn I guess. I have everything right accept for this. Boat accelerates nice and smooth but not for the hole shot, just dies.