Mercruiser Skeg Repair

nearpar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I have to repair my Mercruiser Pre Alpha Skeg I have to remove it anyway to replace the impeller. I have another pre alpha lower case that is cracked, but has a nice skeg on it. Should I cut that skeg off and use it to repair my skeg by welding it, or should I just get a stainless skeg bolt on repair kit ?

Bondo

Staff member
Hello I have to repair my Mercruiser Pre Alpha Skeg I have to remove it anyway to replace the impeller. I have another pre alpha lower case that is cracked, but has a nice skeg on it. Should I cut that skeg off and use it to repair my skeg by welding it, or should I just get a stainless skeg bolt on repair kit ?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Any of yer options can work just fine,.....

I'll add a couple more,....
Use epoxy to bond the ssteel one on,....

Cut off yer's squarish 'n just cut a new blank outa 1/4" plate, weld it on, 'n dress it out with a grinder,....

nearpar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I matey me thinks me will go with the Exoxy stainless option. I will rough up the old skeg then epoxy and use the provided bolts with the kit.

thumpar

Admiral
If you do go the weld method be careful. The heat can ruin the seals in the drive. A friend of mine busted his off at the ramp and took it to a prop shop for repair. It looked good as new afterword.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I squared mine up with a saw, sanded smooth and repainted it. As Bondo told me when I asked about repairing mine, the drive doesn't need one so repairing the skeg back to original is mainly cosmetic. If your into watching the skeg while on the trailer then I say spend the money to repair it. The SS skeg guard, yeah I have one that covers the mangled skeg but they look like carp to me and when you drain the LU oil goes down inside it.

Bondo

Staff member
originally posted by grub1grub2
Just wondering,when installing the ss skeg,why the epoxy? I realise it may be to hold it on better,but if the drain hole gets plugged,it could freeze and crack it. I've never seen one fall off and I've installed a bunch for customers. And there is nothing in the instructions about using epoxy. Thnx.

Ayuh,.... To be honest grub, I've only held 1 in my hand, one time,...
A Bud was puttin' it on his drive, 'n by beddin' it in epoxy, any voids were full of epoxy,...
After it was cleaned up, it fit really well, 'n as far as I know, is still there,...

Like Waterman says, on My barges, if the skeg gets knocked off, I just keep goin', as it's there more for Looks, 'n a tiny bit of protection for the prop,...
It don't work as a rudder, the prop thrust steers the barge, not the skeg,...