Mercruiser 470 Impeller Change

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Taking the advice of some of the guys on this forum, and going to try an impeller change on my 1986 165hp 470.

I am somewhat handy, but have little experience around engine.
Any advice you can give, or previous threads that are well-done with same engine, or videos to help in process I would appreciate!!!

I ordered this part (hope its correct, but can return if needed):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S6L99I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also on supply list:
Torque Wrench
oil pump
2 qts oil

? I don't know what an alignment kit is?

Thank you.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
At the top of the page, in the "Adults Only" section (it's not what you think), Don S posted a good link with a .pdf to help. Here it is. There is a lot of good info on Mercruiser stuff in that section.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
T...... I don't know what an alignment kit is?

Thank you.

There is no alignment kit per se.... but there is an alignment tool or bar. There are plenty of them on ebay, etc You can read more about the alignment procedure in the "adult only" section as well.

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for that!

Quick question... Do you know, is the prop supposed to spin freely? I thought it was supposed to be stuck in place, but mine spins freely. Is that correct before starting?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
In neutral it will spin freely in both directions. In forward gear it will lock up when you turn it counter clockwise and "click" when you turn it clockwise. And visa versa for reverse.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Time to take a look underneath the outdrive to see how stuff works. Guess the best place to start is at the beginning. When you push the control handle forward it pushes the control cable back. There is a piece called then shift slide on the end that engages a roller on the shift shaft lever #25 here https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Sho...0065.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=60&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING and rotates the upper shift shaft #21 clockwise. Which in turn rotates the intermediate shift shaft #22. The ISS slides over the lower shift shaft which slides the gears in the gear case back and forth from F, to N to R. When you look underneath you can see how the upper and intermediate shift shafts connect. Have someone shift the control back and forth so you can see how it rotates. You will see that when you are in forward the top of the ISS points straight ahead, so that when you remove the outdrive the ISS and USS will simply slide apart. So as Fishermark says, the control must be in forward when you remove the outdrive. Shift it back and forth to see which way the prop turns free and which way it locks. Check out the outdrive removal section of the manual.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
When you look in the adults only link be sure to look at pressure testing methods and tools. Highly recommended to pressure test your drive after reassembly. Best of luck and have fun! What service manual are you using? Get the "good" one on here for free! (links in the adults only section)

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
May have some questions when I get started...

Happy Holidays, all !!!

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am waiting for a few supplies to arrive before I can start, but this will help. thanks!