5.7 Head gaskets compressed thickness

NHGuy

Captain
I've been doing some thinking about if & when to do some updates to the bottom end of my prevortec 5.7.
I have been contemplating the work, and I can't seem to find data on the compressed thickness on any of the marine head gaskets I see available.
There's a really thin stainless (.015") available that I have seen, but by the description in the guides it sounds like it's for a drag motor.
Any Ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
I've been doing some thinking about if & when to do some updates to the bottom end of my prevortec 5.7.
I have been contemplating the work, and I can't seem to find data on the compressed thickness on any of the marine head gaskets I see available.
There's a really thin stainless (.015") available that I have seen, but by the description in the guides it sounds like it's for a drag motor.
Any Ideas?

The standard head gasket for your engine would be like felpro 17030, which most show a 0.040 gasket compressed, when is closer to 0.039. but not much to worry about. They make thicker and thinner gaskets which is determined by how much compression your going to add to the engine, or if the head needs to be planed down. Lets say you want to build standard compression engine but need to take off 0.010 to flatten the head. You buy a 0.050 gasket and your good. If you want to increase the compression you can shave the head. reduce the head gasket thickness, use dome pistons, or any one or all of the combinations.

The 0.015 gasket is mostly used when your building a lot of compression as in a dragster or other HP engine

NHGuy

Captain
That's exactly what I was asking. I'm dreaming up some improvements like some perfect quench pistons for my heads. But I wouldn't buy anything til I know the condition of the entire motor. With the way this winter is treating my bank balance it might not happen this year at all!
I suppose if I wait and save I could do the stroker crank too.

Bondo

Staff member
That's exactly what I was asking. I'm dreaming up some improvements like some perfect quench pistons for my heads. But I wouldn't buy anything til I know the condition of the entire motor. With the way this winter is treating my bank balance it might not happen this year at all!
I suppose if I wait and save I could do the stroker crank too.

Ayuh,..... D-dished pistons, 'n 0" deck the block, shoot for .045" quench,..... Just under or maybe at 10:1 compression,.... ;)

alldodge

Staff member
If and when you decide to do it, ask the same questions on off shore only. While we have some real knowledgeable folks on this subject, OSO has more in this area. Only caveat I would add is there are some on OSO which are a bit flipped if you don't have a go-fast. There are plenty more to our weight them just FYI only. Look forward to see what you would want to go for.

Note: higher compression without the proper cam is a turd. To much cam will create reversion so no more wet exhaust, it's a mix of what the end result you want

NHGuy

Captain
Yah, I'm just "bench racing". At least my little bow rider has a kinda fast setup. Nothing like some of those off the wall rides on OSO I've seen though.