few questions on alpha one gen ii impeller replacement

brian.fischman

Recruit
Greeitngs

I'm in the process of replacing the impeller on my alpha one gen II (1994), i've got the kit, and i believe i have the impeller correctly installed. I have a couple of questions

1) the seal/gasket that goes around the shaft out of the water pump assembly, can i just pop this in before i install the water pump? it doesnt seem to want to seat using the tool

2) the sleeve and plastic guide are in the upper half of the unit and using moderate force do not want to break free, isn't this suppose to come off and be attached to the pump housing? should i go for bigger tools and maybe a hose pick to pull it off?

Its going to be raining the rest of the day here, so i'm in no rush, but would love to have it buttoned up and tested first thing in the morning so i can continue to hunt the illusive rock fish.

thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Greeitngs

I'm in the process of replacing the impeller on my alpha one gen II (1994), i've got the kit, and i believe i have the impeller correctly installed. I have a couple of questions

1) the seal/gasket that goes around the shaft out of the water pump assembly, can i just pop this in before i install the water pump? it doesnt seem to want to seat using the tool

2) the sleeve and plastic guide are in the upper half of the unit and using moderate force do not want to break free, isn't this suppose to come off and be attached to the pump housing? should i go for bigger tools and maybe a hose pick to pull it off?

Its going to be raining the rest of the day here, so i'm in no rush, but would love to have it buttoned up and tested first thing in the morning so i can continue to hunt the illusive rock fish.

thanks!

:welcome: to iboats

Had a hard time seeing you haven't received any help yet. I'm not an Alpha expert so I'll provide the following: In the top of this section is the adults only section. In that section there is a Mercruiser area and some videos achris put together for the drives. Below is a direct link to the videos. He has a 2 part video which lays out repairing the impeller

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...gines-outdrives/604924-a-couple-of-new-videos

UncleWillie

Captain
I have serviced this Water pump more than once...

Unless yours is different from my 2010 A1-G2; The Seal/Gasket A.K.A "Water Slinger" that is on the Drive shaft just above the water pump housing, just slides down the shaft and lightly rides on the top of the pump housing. There isn't any "Seating" action involved. It just sits there by friction. It doesn't seem logical, but that is the way it is.

The Guide Sleeve and "S" shaped water tube should simply pull out.
If the drive hasn't been serviced in years it may be stuck and in need of a little elbow grease to get them apart.
Try twisting. They are just plastic parts held in by the friction of a couple of O-Rings.
A light coating of 24C grease during reassembly will help in removing them next year.

When reinstalling, place the Sleeve on the Pump Housing and the Water Tube into the upper housing.
The sleeve is only there to guide/target the tube into the Pump Housing during reassembly.
Once assembled, the sleeve serves no purpose. It is only an assemble guide.
Getting Water tube aligned with the Pump is the hardest part of putting it back together.
It helps if the lower drive is sitting level while you drop the upper drive dead straight down onto it.
When everything is aligned it goes on very easily. Plan on needed more than one try.
If you get it on the first try, consider yourself lucky.