Rochester 2 jets carb dies when shift into gear or throttle

thumpar

Admiral
Start with the lower shift cable and shift interrupt switch. Most likely you need a new lower shift cable but it could be out of adjustment. The shift interrupt switch is only supposed to activate when coming out of gear but a bad or incorrectly adjusted lower shift cable could make the switch stick.

Bondo

Staff member
Start with the lower shift cable and shift interrupt switch. Most likely you need a new lower shift cable but it could be out of adjustment. The shift interrupt switch is only supposed to activate when coming out of gear but a bad or incorrectly adjusted lower shift cable could make the switch stick.

Ayuh,..... Agreed,...... Classic symptoms,.....

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just serviced the transom and the shift cable was also replaced and it has been adjusted. problem still persists. Do you think it is the high speed or choke lever adjustment? There is a lever on the carburetor when I push it up it starts and runs but when I push it down it kills the motor.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is that the lever your talkin bout the one the throttle cable is hooked up to?
If so..there is an adjustable stop screw to adjust this lever.

Captainwally

Recruit
try locating your shift interrupter switch... If your shift links are at all worn (hard to Shift) the interrupter will kill the engine when shifting... Its supposed to kill it momentarily to allow the outdrive to shift with out load on it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Just serviced the transom and the shift cable was also replaced and it has been adjusted. problem still persists.

Was this a problem before you had the transom serviced? Did you do the work yourself, or have it done? I agree with the others that the shift interrupt switch is engaging when it is not supposed to and is causing the problem. The easiest thing to do is to watch the switch while someone else engages the controller. If the switch is engaging when you shift into gear, then something is binding. It is not supposed to engage then.

If the switch stays put when you put it into gear and the engine still dies, then you might have an issue with the carb or some other thing.... but my money is on the shift cable.