Starter Coil wiring question

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK time to start saving you some money LOL. To replace an impeller yourself you would need impeller kit $35, outdrive oil (2 qt) $12, and a outdrive service gasket set $10. Take it to a mechanic and you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars. You will need a few tools, good socket set a torque wrench and an alignment tool couple of inexpensive grease guns and a pump for the outdrive lube and a few other common tools. Here is your engine manual: http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser8.html#/0 and your outdrive manual: http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser6.html#/0 You also should have a good digital voltmeter and timing light. The impeller is in the outdrive, so you need to pull it off, but it is not that hard. It is handy to have a friend (not wife) to give you a hand pulling it and reinstalling. Learn how to pull the outdrive to do routine maintenance and you will save many hundreds over a few years. Lots of guys here to help. good luck.

thumpar

Admiral
I used to pull and reinstall my Alpha by myself. It is not that hard. Follow the manual and make sure you get the correct replacement parts.

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@Dennis, yes I applied the Permatex Aviation Sealer to all bolts. That was a great suggestion.
Thanks for the manuals, stony! I have been looking for those for a while. BTW- I've appreciated reading several of your posts about 470's across the forum.:yo:
Who knows, I may try it.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
When you get around to trying to start it, you must provide cooling water to the engine. Get a set of water muffs ( they go over the intakes in the outdrive) and hook them up to a garden hose to provide water to the engine. The water does three things, obviously it cools the engine (the antifreeze in your exchanger in your case), but just as importantly it cools the exhaust ( keeps the rubber parts of the exhaust from burning up) and cools and lubricates the impeller in the outdrive. Running it dry will ruin the impeller in about 20 sconds, and shortly after that you will start to melt the rubber exhaust parts (bellows and shutter behind the engine). Once it is started try to keep it under about 1500 RPM. Turning it over (without starting it) to see if you have spark is OK.