Opinions on aftermarket tools?

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

What are your thoughts on using aftermarket tools instead of genuine Mercruiser or Quicksilver brand tools. I'm talking about the engine alignment tools, gimbal bearing puller, etc.

Have a nice day!

mr 88

Commander
Mercruiser does not have a Mfg. plant for hand tools,there all subbed out. So there is no problem buying aftermarket tools to work on your drive system.There is even a good chance that the aftermarket tool you buy for a lot less money is the excact tool as Mercruiser without the markings.

thumpar

Admiral
My alignment tool was bought off ebay. To pull the gimbal bearing I rented a 2/3 jaw puller from autozone. When I did my exhaust bellows I made the $3 tool from the sticky. I think doing the job right is more important than the tool you use.

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree about doing the job right... but you wouldn't want a home made alignment tool either...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I agree about doing the job right... but you wouldn't want a home made alignment tool either...

Why not? The drawings for the bar are on this site. If you have a lathe (or access to one) and the right piece of steel, just turn it up... As long as the dimensions are accurate, it'll be just as good as a 'proper' one...

Chris.....

thumpar

Admiral
I am not saying to use a stick for an alignment tool but you don't need the Merc tool. As long as it meets spec it is fine.

tpenfield

Staff member
Tools is tools . . . it is the person using them that makes the difference . . . same sort of thing is often said about golf clubs. :)

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I made my own alignment tool.... not a particularly challenging machining job if you can get your hands on a lathe.
Alan