Help Identifying Bravo3 Parts

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello!

Mid summer this past year I had some significant problems shifting with my 1994 Bravo 3, leaving to a complete rebuild of the upper, and an inspection / a few bad parts swapped from the lower. Many of the parts in the upper, including I believe the upper gearset, were fine yet had to be replaced because of a single small bearing or part that failed and needed to be replaced (The marina said the bearing itself could not be purchased, an entire upper gearset including the replacement bearing needed to be procured).

So I'm left with a box of likely good parts, sans a small bearing. Can anyone help identify what these are, and what I need to do to inspect them to insure their integrity for used resale? Part #1 i believe is the outer prop shaft, and was replaced because of the infamous groove, so Im not sure if there's a use or any re-use in that, but if any of the other parts are bad I certainly want to disclose any potential issues during resale.

Thanks all for the input!!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/IMG_20141207_181250_zpse21e58ee.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/IMG_20141207_181201_zpsabc09f99.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/IMG_20141207_181320_zps2674fdb6.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Hello!

Mid summer this past year I had some significant problems shifting with my 1994 Bravo 3, leaving to a complete rebuild of the upper, and an inspection / a few bad parts swapped from the lower. Many of the parts in the upper, including I believe the upper gearset, were fine yet had to be replaced because of a single small bearing or part that failed and needed to be replaced (The marina said the bearing itself could not be purchased, an entire upper gearset including the replacement bearing needed to be procured).

So I'm left with a box of likely good parts, sans a small bearing. Can anyone help identify what these are, and what I need to do to inspect them to insure their integrity for used resale? Part #1 i believe is the outer prop shaft, and was replaced because of the infamous groove, so Im not sure if there's a use or any re-use in that, but if any of the other parts are bad I certainly want to disclose any potential issues during resale.

Thanks all for the input!!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...pse21e58ee.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psabc09f99.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps2674fdb6.jpg

Items 2, 4, 5 and 6 are pieces to the clutch assembly. These are procured as an assembly and yours being a 1994 they are no longer used. The Merc service bulletin changes the assy part numbers and requires new shim races.

Item 1 outer prop shaft
Item 2 shift shaft
Item 4 clutch
Item 5 upper gear assy
Item 6 lower gear assy
Item 7 inner yoke
Item 8 sleeve bearing race and no mechanic worth their salt would ever use a used bearing

IMO only items 1 and 7 have possibilities for resale. I would only attempt this it the parts look real good, no signs of wear. I doubt this can be said because they were not reused in your drive. If they were acceptable then the question would be why did your mechanic not reuse them? As for the rest they could be reused under the same situation and reasoning, but it would be only to someone which was knowledgeable enough and needed those parts to fix an old set of the exact type. My suggestion is to use them for scrap or some kind of art work

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Alldodge,

My thinking was that if I had to throw down on a an entire $1,000 upper gear set because a bearing was bad, somewhere there's probably someone that's in the same situation with a single bad widget I may have to offer that can save the effort of buying the entire shebang. The dealership that I went with took a "if we are going to back our work we're going to replace all this stuff on principal" so some of the parts may be just fine. I have some friends in the merc realm that'll have some input on their condition. Thanks again!

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, If Merc no longer uses this assembly and doesn't offer replacement parts, can I at least have the satisfaction of thinking that in my 1994 drive, the dealership replaced this assembly with something updated and more dependable than the origional assembly that failed?

alldodge

Staff member
Also, If Merc no longer uses this assembly and doesn't offer replacement parts, can I at least have the satisfaction of thinking that in my 1994 drive, the dealership replaced this assembly with something updated and more dependable than the origional assembly that failed?

I would hope so, not that they did but they should have. Also add that under normal conditions, the gear set would never fail if something didn't cause it. Things like regular lube replacement, seals didn't leak, etc. Below is the link on the service bulletin showing the new gear sets and the shim changes that should have been done. Take this into the dealer and ask if they used the newer gear sets. If they say yes, then ask where are your old shims (Note bottom page 1)?

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/001/04//2001/EN_17.PDF

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks Alldodge,

My thinking was that if I had to throw down on a an entire $1,000 upper gear set because a bearing was bad, somewhere there's probably someone that's in the same situation with a single bad widget I may have to offer that can save the effort of buying the entire shebang. The dealership that I went with took a "if we are going to back our work we're going to replace all this stuff on principal" so some of the parts may be just fine. I have some friends in the merc realm that'll have some input on their condition. Thanks again!

For future reference, that is one of the benefits of doing your own work . . . you get to decide what parts are bad and what is still good. Also, you can buy the individual parts (most Bravo outdrives have Timken bearings for example) rather than replacing with 'sets' of parts.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tpenfield,

I think this whole issue stems from the idiot prior owner doing his own work. The dealership mentioned that there were parts missing, other parts just floating around, etc... which is why they opened for a complete rebuild. I'm pretty handy with a car, but have a healthy respect for letting an experienced professional work on an expensive something that I know little about.

Reviewing the work order, it lists "43-883473A3 Gear Set 27/32" as well as
15-87157A1 Shim Set
12-805078A1 Shim Set
15-805627A1 Shim Set

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Those are the correct shim sets for preloading the bearings (three different areas)

The thing that is missing from the list is the thinner race shims for the new gear set. If they didn't change them there is to much preload on the new gear set and premature burn out can happen. Now if they had them and changed swapped them out at no charge, then no problem