4 cylinder motor identification help!

ZWhite

Cadet
Hi everyone! New here, my name is Zack. I just bought a 1978 sea nymph with a 4 cylinder in it. I am looking to see if anyone can help me with identification of what kind of motor it is so I can look for parts if needed. Hope the pics work, Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
guess about 120 hp gm 4 cly. manual 3 should cover it. should be a small alum plate just above the starter, the serial number is what we need

ZWhite

Cadet
Thanks for the help! I'll check to see if it has a harmonic balancer tomorrow when I grab it from a buddies house.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 120 used a different manifold than the 140.
It looks like the 120 is what you have.
More pics and find the ID plate.

ZWhite

Cadet
I was unable to find an ID tag, but it appears to only have a pulley so I am assuming its a 120 hp.

ZWhite

Cadet
I am having a hard time finding any Info on this boat. The coast guard tag says it's a seanymph wrs-18. I am not finding any other pictures of them online.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
OK, that drive is certainly not an OMC... Moving back to the Mercruiser forum... :faceplam:
What's possibly happened (and that may be borne out by the intake/exhaust manifold) is the original engine was damaged/destroyed and an old OMC engine was used to replace it, with the Mercruiser furit bolted on... Or someone have a few cans of OMC blue paint and just liked the colour...

Chris.......

Bondo

Staff member
The coast guard tag says it's a seanymph wrs-18. I am not finding any other pictures of them online.

Ayuh,.... Probably because it's an old outboard hull, somebody cobbed an old I/O into,....

She's a junkyard dog,...

achris

Tell you want else I noticed... That's an E-Z shift inner transom plate and drive.... Getting parts will not be E-Z.... ;)

ZWhite

Cadet
Any way to find our what model mercruiser drive it is without a serial? I can't find one

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The inner transom plate says it's an MC-1,....

It won't matter which MC-1, til ya tear into it,....

ZWhite

Cadet
Are parts interchangeable with alpha 1 drives? The lower unit has a 2" vertical crack in it.

Bondo

Staff member
Are parts interchangeable with alpha 1 drives? The lower unit has a 2" vertical crack in it.

Ayuh,.... Maybe, but that's considerably older than the Alpha 1,.... There's gonna be shaft length, 'n spline count issues,...

If Chris is right, 'n it's an EZ, Nope, really not much help for it,....

achris

Look at the bottom part of the upper housing. It's got lugs and very short tilt rams... And the tilt hoses come from the centre of the gimbal housing, not the bottom. Very little will be interchangeable with an Alpha One. As it has none of the necessaries for a switch cutout system, you can't even put an SEI on it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Found this.
Turns out it started life as an outboard.
No pics but keep looking!!
http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Engines/bpe/10

This Sea Nymph outboard utility has a aluminum hull, is 18 feet long and 78 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 485 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers. The maximum horsepower we have listed for this outboard boat is 130 hp . If repowering you will want to verify the max horsepower for safety and to make sure your insurance company will insure your boat. New engines are expensive so having the manual for your engine is a great investment.

Despite the aluminum hull on this utility, we recommend that the boat be kept dry and covered in order to preserve the value of the boat. Proper care and regular maintenance can help your craft stay nice and increase resale value. We have included some outboard engine information since a boat isn't much good without a good, reliable source of power.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course.