Part number for Bearing race puller

Speakrdude

Ensign
Anyone know what the tool/part number is (or any other tool you've found that works) for pulling the lower bearing race on an Alpha upper?

mr 88

Commander
Some will not agree as I just change the bearing as I never have seen a bad race. I just put a small pipe,hammer handle etc. inside the bearing and push against it when its lined up opposite the two bearing removal/installer cut outs in the sides of the race. Make sure the grease holes line up with the bearings and race so when you pump grease into it,it goes into the bearing.If you must remove the race I don't see why a axle puller would not work and easier to come by.

Last edited:

Speakrdude

Ensign
Yes, I have many slide hammers and bearing pullers, but this little guy has a small space behind it and having a tough time getting behind it.
Figured there was a special tool or technique.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, I have many slide hammers and bearing pullers, but this little guy has a small space behind it and having a tough time getting behind it.
Figured there was a special tool or technique.

Merc part number for the slide hammer is 91-34569-A1

Edit: sorry posted to quick, I have two different sizes and it takes a smaller one or regrind the surfaces of two of you puller jaws to fit in

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Some will not agree as I just change the bearing as I never have seen a bad race......

Really BAD idea.... 'Some will not agree' includes every engineering and mechanics handbook ever written. That's why every 'best practise' says you replace it.

I've seen plenty of races that at first glance 'look' ok, but as I had no intention of not replacing them, they get pulled out anyway. Once out and I get to have a proper look at them, yeah, they're shot! And down inside a drive shaft housing there is no way you can get a proper look at that surface.

As for removing the race at the bottom of the drive shaft housing.... Either the way AD and Speakerdude described, or drive it out, along with the seal immediately under it, with a long screwdriver from underneath. Just be careful, there are some very thin shims under that race and they can be easily damaged by either method. I usually just measure the shims and put new ones in.

Chris........

Last edited:

Speakrdude

Ensign
Thanks Achris! I have new shims ready to go. I'm sure I'm going to have some more "shim" questions coming soon.
Happy Holidays, everyone!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thanks Achris! I have new shims ready to go. I'm sure I'm going to have some more "shim" questions coming soon.
Happy Holidays, everyone!

We still say 'Merry Christmas' here.... Same to you SD....