MPI ignition coil loose in holder.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Engine, 4.3MPI (2006). The ignition coil is loose in the iron bracket that holds it. If anyone who's got an MPI could check their coil and see if this is normal, I'd appreciate it. If it's not, I may either replace it or fill the gaps with a semi-rigid epoxy and see how it goes. It's only like about 30 to 40 thou of movement...

Thanks.

Chris.......

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... or a couple wraps of black electrical tape,...

alldodge

Staff member
As I remember it is tight on mine, don't remember anything being loose, I would check but engine is two hours away in TN. I'm sure I'll be heading back in the next few weeks, I'll try to remember to check

Fun Times

Staff member
Just so it's clear, Chris's coil is of different design versus the traditional coils. Item number 19.

1439_500.gif

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As I remember it is tight on mine, don't remember anything being loose, I would check but engine is two hours away in TN. I'm sure I'll be heading back in the next few weeks, I'll try to remember to check

Thanks AD, but based on your engine number (in your signature ;)) your coil assy is different, and more like the 3 litre EST coil.

Thanks FT, the part that is loose is the actual coil windings in the holder. So far, I'm liking the inner tube idea the best.
MPI coil assy.jpg

BTW, Item #19 is a bolt. The coil/control module is #18 ;)

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Inner tube works,but I just rememberd, the local lumber yard sells the black rubber roofing material,and if ya just want a square foot or so,its pretty cheap,and less likely to dry rot.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks AD, but based on your engine number (in your signature ;)) your coil assy is different, and more like the 3 litre EST coil.

Thanks FT, the part that is loose is the actual coil windings in the holder. So far, I'm liking the inner tube idea the best.

BTW, Item #19 is a bolt. The coil/control module is #18 ;)

IMO that part should not be loose. I would guess that it will continue to work until it wears though at some point in the future. If it were mine I would try mixing up some epoxy or tar and try to secure it. But I boat on inland waters, for your area and the ocean, I would probably replace it or keep another in the tool box.