Upper water pump seal question.

sgtnoah

Cadet
Long time reader, first time poster. You all have a wonderful site here, I've learned a ton and it's gotten me out of a number of mechanical jams.

One question that I couldn't find the answer to using the search function:

My boat has a mercruiser 3.0 with a Alpha One, Gen II outdrive. I just did my first water pump replacement and cannot seam to understand what holds the seal on top of the stainless pump housing in place. I used the tool to set it, but just don't understand what's keeping this seal in place from sliding up the shaft away from the pump housing.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

-- Pete

achris

More fish than mountain goat
:welcome: to iboats, and may your stay be long and enjoyable....

The shaft should be clean and dry when you run the seal down, then it's just friction that does the job of holding it in place.

Chris........

Last edited:

sgtnoah

Cadet
Thanks Chris for the info. I'm still learning the tricks to working on these things. The instructions said to, "lightly lubricate the drive shaft with 2-4-C". As a sealing surface on a moving part is usually per-lubricated, I was generous with the 2-4-C - which is to say, I coated the whole seal with 2-4-C before installing it. This may have been a mistake based on what you said. Should I take it all apart and remove the lube to prevent this thing from moving?

Thanks,
Pete

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I just put a small dab on the housing to lube it there. Water lubes it when running.

Fun Times

Staff member
Should I take it all apart and remove the lube to prevent this thing from moving?
No need to do that, you'll be fine. I've been known to go a little heavy with the grease on that shaft/"slinger" seal/ring at times too, never had a problem.

sgtnoah

Cadet
Thanks for the info... Nothing like getting ready for next boating season, with it snowing out, howling wind, and single digit temps. Thank goodness for well insulated and heated garages!

-- Pete

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thanks for the info... Nothing like getting ready for next boating season, with it snowing out, howling wind, and single digit temps. Thank goodness for well insulated and heated garages!

-- Pete

Yeah, it's only 34 here today... 34 C that is... :rofl: