Newest project Alpha Gen II drive

Speakrdude

Ensign
Recently, I purchased a 94 model ski boat, with engine supposedly seized. Pulled the drive, Drive seized, not the engine.
The u joint bellows failed, replacing the oil with water, welding the upper shaft to the bearing race.
The lower had water in it for a while before this discovery.
Drained, flushed, pressure tested, (not vacuum yet) seems ok. Turns/shifts smooth.
Should I repair upper and move on, or complete disassemble lower?
Have repaired uppers, but never a lower yet.
Is it worth repairing or trash both and replace with SEI? So far, parts for upper is bearings, seals, labor.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Since you're obviously handy around these boaty thingies I would fix or replace the upper and go with the lower as it is as long as I was satisfied the shavings are gone. But there is a risk that it can fail on a nice hard earned vacation. So perhaps replace with an SEI or reman unit and when that fails on your nice hard earned vacation at least it won't be your fault. Deniability is always a mechanics best friend

alldodge

Staff member
Recently, I purchased a 94 model ski boat, with engine supposedly seized. Pulled the drive, Drive seized, not the engine.
The u joint bellows failed, replacing the oil with water, welding the upper shaft to the bearing race.
The lower had water in it for a while before this discovery.
Drained, flushed, pressure tested, (not vacuum yet) seems ok. Turns/shifts smooth.
Should I repair upper and move on, or complete disassemble lower?
Have repaired uppers, but never a lower yet.
Is it worth repairing or trash both and replace with SEI? So far, parts for upper is bearings, seals, labor.

Go with the SEI drive. Could sell the old drive on craigs list or ebay for 50 and use that for gas

Speakrdude

Ensign
This is a "resale" boat, So I should probably go ahead and replace. I thought I could save some $$ by rebuilding the upper only. I am a reseller of SEI also.
This boat is a 4.3L so 1.65 ratio.

Bondo

Staff member
This is a "resale" boat, So I should probably go ahead and replace. I thought I could save some $$ by rebuilding the upper only. I am a reseller of SEI also.
This boat is a 4.3L so 1.65 ratio.

Ayuh,..... Unless she's a big barge,.... then go 1.84:1,.....