Timing belt problems

terry strothers

Recruit
my mech says my timing belt is off which is causing me to have power issues. what is the cost to repair this

achris

More fish than mountain goat
my mech says my timing belt is off which is causing me to have power issues. what is the cost to repair this

Hi Terry and :welcome: to iboats.

A few things. First, please don't post into old threads with a new questions, in future start your own thread. (I have moved these posts to a new thread for you already)...
Next, we need to know what your engine is (don't need to know anything about the boat, that's irrelevant, just the engine).. Model and year is a good start, serial number is best.
Also, the only Mercruiser engine that ever had a timing belt was the Vaser, and I think Merc sold 3 of those.... So, if you don't have a Vaser, what are you referring to (as 'timing belt')?

Chris.....

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Unless you are talking about the belt in the older Mercury inline outboard motors....... yes that can cause problems and should be kept fresh.

Which specific motor/type are you asking about?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I think we need a lot more information. Even if the v-belt of an older in-line had fallen apart, it will not cause 'power issues', unless the power referred to is electrical power.... Yes, more information please.

Chris........