5.7 EFI - Fuel Cooler Drain Plug

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, hope everyone is well.

So i went to the boat (new to me boat) (staying in Water for the winter) today to drain the water from the engine. Last drain plug was the fuel cooler for my starboard engine, removed and it seemed like it didn't want to stop draining, got nervous so i screwed back on the drain plug. Is this suppose to stop draining? or did i not wait long enough? got nervous, the water draining was cold not warm/hot like the other drain plugs...

Thanks guys, let me know.

revised 2000 5.7 bravo 3
-O

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, what year is the engine and what drive do you have on the boat? alpha or bravo?

Where if the fuel cooler located on your engine model?

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry its a 2000 350 5.7 efi, Bravo 3, cooler is located next tot he port side engine mount, it was a B@tch to get to, only did the starboard side

Fun Times

Staff member
When you first pulled the plug, was there a lot of water at first then a steady slow flow of water? Since the boat and drive is sitting in the water, chances are high that water is flowing past the impeller and making it's way to the fuel cooler. It's recommended to pull the inlet hose off of the impeller housing and plug it if you don't have a seacock valve to turn the water flow off.

The inside diameter hose size is 1-1/4 inch. Pull hose number 24 checking for water flow then plug it for the winter. Drain the fuel cooler after. Good luck.:)

14158.png

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Do you have a seacock on the water inlet to the seawater pump. If so turn it off and try again. It could be water is leaking past the pump. If you do this make sure you put something on the ignition reminding you turn turn it back on next time you run it.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with FT and pull hose 24 off. Many take a piece of PVC pipe (1 to 3 ft long) and push it into the hard line hose removed from the seawater pump. Once the pipe is inserted tighten the clamp around the pipe and tie the pipe up high on the engine. The pipe is basically used as something easy to see and easy to tie up high. In most cases you can just tie the hose up, but the pipe is a good visual when your ready to fire it up for spring

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fun Times - Yes there was a lot of water than a slow steady stream of water. Is the water suppose to stop flowing at the impeller? When disconnecting hose number 24, will there be a lot of water? would i have to work fast? I feel like it would be better if i disconnect the bracket for the impeller so i can stretch the hose closer to me while sitting infront of the motor so I can install somthing to close it up, bad idea?

thumpar - No seacock, i wish i had one..

AllDodge - Thanks for the idea! may end up this route, i'm just nervous of the amount of water that will flow after remvoing #24 hose and clamping the hose to the PVC pipe, I wish someone had a picture of this so i can visualize this before attempting.

I'm just happying its warming up around here...tomorrow 70s!!!

Last edited: