MC Alpha 1 Gen II lube questions

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Now that the federal government controls our fishing season and made it dismal and short at best here in Fl, I scarcely put 50 hrs on my V8 duals since 2012. Yet, I have noticed that the gear lube is extremely dark blue with higher viscosty in the lower units vs upper resoviors. End of last summer, I pulled one lower drive to replace pick up pump. I had to pinch line from resoviore to prohibit lube from draining and being wasted. I drained lower into coffee can for inspection and saving. Lube was not milky at all but apeared thicker as it came out of lower unit. The weather was HOT like in July! Other unit's lub was the same appearence. Neither appeared milky but very very dark blue. Any concerns???????

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you had removed the drive completely the oil would not have leaked out because there is a valve that stops it. Oil will drain if only the lower is dropped plus it will leak oil where the driveshaft goes into.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Still doesn't answere if I should be concerned over super dark blue lub in lower unit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You need to drain the reservoirs and clean them out. Some of the 'solid' elements of the oil drop out of solution over time. The bottom of the reservoirs will be full of sludge. That blue oil is what's meant to be in there. It has a 'weight' of around 140, like a heavy diff oil. And if it's had a hard life (like over-propped or a lot of high engine speeds), it looks more green than blue.

I drained lower into coffee can for inspection and saving.

Part of the service on the drive is to CHANGE the oil, not put the old oil back in.... But if you want to 'save' a few dollars just to be buying a new drive (or two in your case) that's entirely up to you :facepalm:

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Oil's Cheap,... I change it every season,.....

Used oil gets dirty,... Drain, refill, 'n try it again,...

I use Mobil 1, 75W-90,.... goes in light amber, comes out, Hopefully, brown,....

I bought some of the 80W-140, 'n thought it was much thicker than the 75W-90, which appears to be like the Merc oil, without the color,....
ta My fingers anyways,.... ;)

My guess yer Dark blue is dirty blue,....

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
You need to drain the reservoirs and clean them out. Some of the 'solid' elements of the oil drop out of solution over time. The bottom of the reservoirs will be full of sludge. That blue oil is what's meant to be in there. It has a 'weight' of around 140, like a heavy diff oil. And if it's had a hard life (like over-propped or a lot of high engine speeds), it looks more green than blue.

Part of the service on the drive is to CHANGE the oil, not put the old oil back in.... But if you want to 'save' a few dollars just to be buying a new drive (or two in your case) that's entirely up to you :facepalm:

Chris......

All the time, I thought reserviors' lub acted as gravity and forced lub down and kept upper and lower full. I wasn't aware (as I believe that you imply) that the reservior's lub recycles throughtout system. It seems to me that the slight downward pressure asserted by lub in reservior would aid in keeping water out. Thx!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No, the reservoir acts just like you said, gravity feed. But that doesn't change the fact that there is oil in there and it needs to be changed and the bottom of the reservoir cleaned out.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
No, the reservoir acts just like you said, gravity feed. But that doesn't change the fact that there is oil in there and it needs to be changed and the bottom of the reservoir cleaned out.

THX!