76 SeaRay 220 Steering Question

shawn9509

Recruit
Hi everyone, new to the site, and have a question. I recently purchased a 76 SeaRay 220 cuddly cheap. It rinds good and need a lot of TLC, but my main issue right now is its soooo hard to steer. It doesn't have power steering, and the steering wheel collar says rack and pinion steering. The out drive has a lot of play in it and it takes almost all my strength to turn the wheel under power. It's easier when idling, but still not easy by any means. I haven't had a chance to actually take the rear of the boat apart to see what I'm dealing with. I've been trying to find online a diagram of what the actual steering mechanism looks like and where to buy parts. Can someone please tell me how this steering system works, and possibly what I will need to do to fix it. I don't have lots of money and am pretty handy when it comes to fixing things, so if It's possible to adjust and grease things, that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... My 1st guess is, ya need a new helm, 'n cable kit,....

Yer's is probably original equipment, 'n well beyond it's expected service life,...