How to remove Gimbal Bearing Seal - Mercruiser Alpha 1 gen II

Status
Not open for further replies.

afirststep

Cadet
Gimbal bearing removed using a home made threaded puller. - No problem.

Can only get behind the rubber part of the gimbal bearing seal. - Problem - metal ring on seal will not budge.

A hook type seal remover that hooks inside and levers over the front to pull one side of the bearing out did not work. The gimbal rotated all the way up, the seal puller inserted, and pulled down. The rubber part of the seal just ripped.

A rod type long shaft seal puller that has a notch in the end could only grab rubber. Same result - rubber moves, metal ring on seal still in place.

I can not seem to get behind the metal 'U' shaped ring to remove it, I was thinking of using a long screw driver and damage the outside lip to collapse the metal ring, but figured I might damage the transom surface.

How do I get the gimbal bearing seal out of the circular cup it is in? Keep in mind the bellows are installed...

Humbled, Advance DIYer

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I would not worry about the seal, its supposed to stop any grease from flying out of the rear of the bearing

afirststep

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

The seal prevents the boat from sinking in the even the bellows leak/rupture?! Sounds like a necessity item.

The old seal is damaged. I have a new seal and would like to change it. I hate unscheduled swims.;)

The manual says to just pull the seal out without mentioning how.

How do I pull the seal out?

Thanks

Speakrdude

Ensign
Sinking? No. Messy, yes!
If your U=joint bellows rupture and springs a leak, that "grease seal" will not stop the water.
Not only that, there is a "weep" hole drilled just in front of that seal, in the bottom of the housing.

mr 88

Commander
I dont believe the reply said anything about " the seal prevents the boat from sinking". The bellows serves that purpose,the drive shaft fits against the gimbal bearing and that is not airtight. In most cases with a bad bellows the water coming in is not enough to sink a boat overnight or a lot longer as the shaft fit allows more of a dripping flow than a steady stream. The bilge pump more than keeps up with that issue.In most cases the owner will notice his bilge pump turning on even though they had pumped it out at the beginning of the day and they want to know where the water is coming from and more often than not it is a bad bellows.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, it just sinks a little (not much) slower. Go to autozone and borrow their slide hammer / axle bearing puller kit (free) should do the trick.

afirststep

Cadet
Thanks all for the encouragement, I pulled the bearing with ease, but how is the seal behind it removed?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Choose the correct size axle bearing puller (looks like a T when open) slip it through the seal allow it pivot to catch on the sides of the seal and slide hammer it out. Make sure it is contacting the seal and not the housing. Worked for mine.

Last edited:

afirststep

Cadet
Choose the correct size axle bearing puller (looks like a T when open) slip it through the seal allow it pivot to catch on the sides of the seal and slide hammer it out. Make sure it is contacting the seal and not the housing. Worked for mine.

Stonyloam, thanks for the advice. Why did I not think of that - bearing puller to remove a seal... I will let you know after the weekend how it turned out.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Normally the gimbal bearing and grease seal replacement job is done when the bellows are replaced as well with the bell housing off. Not sure why a gimbal bearing would be bad and need replaced if the bellows weren't leaking but I guess it could happen if never lubed. With the bell housing off is the only way I've ever pulled the grease seal and then a hawk bill seal puller yanks it right out.

Speakrdude

Ensign
The last one pulled, (Bearing and seal) was with a homemade puller made from a long piece of all thread. Find a flat washer to fit behind the metal part of the seal. easy pizzie

Bondo

Staff member
The last one pulled, (Bearing and seal) was with a homemade puller made from a long piece of all thread. Find a flat washer to fit behind the metal part of the seal. easy pizzie

Ayuh,..... So long as it's possible to get yer hand in there,...... ;)

Most hulls I see ain't bad, but Some,...... :rolleyes:

E350

Cadet
I want to thank @afirststep for starting this thread. I prevented me from destroying the tunnel where the gimbal seal goes.

And I want to thank @Watermann for providing the answer. Who knew that there was a seal puller tool which would make quick and easy removal of the gimbal seal possible?!?!?!

Here is the one that I used purchased from my local Autozone:

71VhSimTU2L._SL1500_.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
November 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Ayuh,...... I guess you haven't bother to read Our postin' rules, 'n guidelines, eh,..??..??..??

There's a link in my signature, as well as at the top of the main forum page,......

Status
Not open for further replies.