this will be a fun one..

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
bondo, yes its a blower motor. i havent had time to look up specs. but i hope to get boat to house in next few days

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok boat is here weather is crappy. ill be exploring it soon. ill get photos up soon. what about efi? i have nothing as far as computer or anything.

Bondo

Staff member
ok boat is here weather is crappy. ill be exploring it soon. ill get photos up soon. what about efi? i have nothing as far as computer or anything.

Ayuh,.... Yer gettin' ahead of yerself,... We donno just what this motor is,.....

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
are you talking about my383? its a forged internal stroker motor. i built it with help from a friend. he built engines for kieth black and ed pink. also worked for edelbrock and crager. its got low compression pistons. it used to be in advanced adaptors jeep years ago. cam specs are low i dont remember them but was small like an rv cam. heads are 041 castings with 3 angle, studs and roller tip rockers, dual springs its hydrolic and not a lumpy cam

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
i also have a nice 4bolt main 350 ready to assemble sitting here. its the motor i was building for the other boat. the outdrive i have is an mr geared for a small block. the transom is keyholed for bravo 3

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
bondo are you waiting for lift and duration? they cut the plugs off with the drive train removal. what picts do you want to see?

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, duration @50 234/244 lift .325/.340 lobe center is 114 advertized lift is488/510 yes its degreed. its possible its 112 lobe center but its the same as an edelbrock rpm performer 2000 to 5600 rpm

Bondo

Staff member
bondo are you waiting for lift and duration? they cut the plugs off with the drive train removal. what picts do you want to see?

Ayuh,.... If yer goin' with an Efi induction, ya need a 'puter that knows yer runnin' a Blown motor,....

A 7:1 motor ain't gonna make power without the blower,....

The 'puter will also need to know the cam too,...

I'll go back, 'n reread this thread, but it seems yer runnin' in circles buildin' a pile of parts,...
A motor is a System of parts, the parts gotta be able to Play Well with each other, to build Horsepower,....
the transom is keyholed for bravo 3

The transom cut-outs are all pretty close, Not an issue in yer application,...

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
the boat is fairly complete other than motor and drive. yes the blower and efi can be fun but possibly a vortec system may work. my buddy runs two but on a mustang. so from looking at the wiring the motor and computer are wired and then the plug goes to the dash. i dont know yet if it has alarms in the dash. but im guessing the computer stays on the motor and runs the injectors and ignition. so ill see....cobalt has been great so im guessing a wiring diagram might not be hard to get

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i may look for a damaged boat with motor and drive.....not sure. i have time, lots of under gelcoat work and glass repair. ill post picts in the repair forum

alldodge

Staff member
It's hard for me to keep up with what your going to try, there isn't anything in the thread which states what your going to do. Started off with a 2004 7.4 and was discussing using a 383 stroker with a 7:1 compression and a blower (I think). If your going EFI then the MEFI-4 computer on your engine can work but only if you have it reprogramed.

I think you started talking about another boat in this post but not sure, yet then again your talking about a car

the boat is fairly complete other than motor and drive. yes the blower and efi can be fun but possibly a vortec system may work. my buddy runs two but on a mustang. so from looking at the wiring the motor and computer are wired and then the plug goes to the dash. i dont know yet if it has alarms in the dash. but im guessing the computer stays on the motor and runs the injectors and ignition. so ill see....cobalt has been great so im guessing a wiring diagram might not be hard to get

:confused:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
ok so i got a 2004 cobalt 246, no motor or drive it was 7.4 bravo3. so can i put my 383 stroker in front of a bravo three? what other drive will fit in its place? the 383 is built for super charger if needed. i have time but i was looking for options......496 bravo 3 would be sweet but unless i find a bucket of gold ill be awhile saving

That's how you started the conversation and filled in some of the blanks along the way. This reads like someone put together a nice engine and should work well supercharged but doing that boat is going to cost some whip...mulla.. money money money.....about 4/7000 depending on your personal skill set. Can you program or tune efi..actually do you know some one who is very skilled with efi. The big thing with marine motor's is the tune has to be done right with a lot of precision remember the engine is under high loads and medium to high rpm all the time...running lean at any point in the rpm band is very bad new's....it can be done by a pro but would require OS sensors and a few thousand for tuning time I would imagine.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry, i was trying to address the questions. i have no computer. as for efi we have worked with it. i have no idea what to do. finding a wrecked boat may be the best choice. ill fix the hull first. is there efi for small block that may work?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is my suggestion. since you do not have a blower for the motor or EFI for the motor, sell the motor, put the $ aside in the boat fund. Then sell the non bravo drives and put the $ aside in the boat fund.
Then search craigslist and the papers, looking for a boat with the appropriate BBC / Bravo combination in a water-logged hull. (worse case buy a badly winterized combination and get a newer 7.4 liter long block from a u-pull-it salvage yard for $400) buy the whole second boat with teh money you set aside. spend the rest of the money you set asside for belts, hoses, manifolds, risers, gaskets and put together a boat and driveline combination that you know will work.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Scott makes sense there...You seem very determined to do efi...are you aware in a boat it does actually very little other that turn key start's???? A carb will acutally produce more hp...even some of the best setups in the marine world running big hp and expert tuner's gain very little with efi.

You would be big money ahead getting that engine up to 9/10/1 compression and running a carb.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Scott makes sense there...You seem very determined to do efi...are you aware in a boat it does actually very little other that turn key start's???? A carb will acutally produce more hp...even some of the best setups in the marine world running big hp and expert tuner's gain very little with efi.

You would be big money ahead getting that engine up to 9/10/1 compression and running a carb.

Come on now if your going to make that statement you should fill in the rest of the story ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Come on now if your going to make that statement you should fill in the rest of the story ;)

EFI in a boat requires additional heat exchangers to keep the fuel and the fuel pump cool. and then the paint falls off the inside of the fuel canister and plugs up the injectors. Is that enough of a story? :laugh:

thumpar

Admiral
On mine the EFI has the VST system. It is one of the craziest things Mercruiser designed. The replacement unit is $1700. I had to replace the diaphragm this year. It is the size of a quarter and $75 on a good day. I still love the easy starts though.

alldodge

Staff member
EFI in a boat requires additional heat exchangers to keep the fuel and the fuel pump cool. and then the paint falls off the inside of the fuel canister and plugs up the injectors. Is that enough of a story? :laugh:

Ah No ..... EFI has better throttle response and fuel economy along with "IF" (big if) it is working correctly better engine performance. It is true that carbs will win is most all instances at WOT with a slight bit more HP, but this is only at the top end of the rpm band. Currently have both types and would take EFI over carb

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ah No ..... EFI has better throttle response and fuel economy along with "IF" (big if) it is working correctly better engine performance. It is true that carbs will win is most all instances at WOT with a slight bit more HP, but this is only at the top end of the rpm band. Currently have both types and would take EFI over carb

Yes and you are somewhat a glutten for punishment...:eek:......:laugh:. That tank took real discipline and say tenacity to get out that tank the way you did...:cool:...Aside from that Fuel economy.....:nono: and speed density..:lie:...throttle response well I give you that..maybe. Don't get me wrong if one has a tightly strung engine and want's extreme reliability...safe guard... from detonation or flexability on timing curves yes aside from that a well tuned carb with the right valve train not going to buy into that so

Carry on my good man...:ranger:

Ohh and as alway's......Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.