Price on 4.3 exhaust manifolds?

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Came across these on ebay,seem to cheap for alum..Can this be true?
itrm #371148310268

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member
It is Michigan Motorz . . . check their web site. Same thing. Not sure about the quality of the HGE manifolds versus some of the higher priced brands.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
No thumper not at moment, in process of a rebuild and may convert it to coolant.i also need some exhaust manifold and risers, was just looking around.
curious ,why u asked? Thanks.

thumpar

Admiral
Aluminium and salt is a no go. Aluminium and raw water can work but may cause problems. Dissimilar metals without antifreeze cause corrosion problems.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Exhaust manifolds and elbows are very much a 'get what you pay for' item. If you find cheap ones, they are cheap for a reason.

As for converting to closed cooling... Only if the engine block is less than about 20 hours or 1 year in salt, after that forget it, too much build up in the passages.... You'll be cleaning the heat exchanger regularly (like every 2 months!) and dealing with constant overheats...

Chris........

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya get what ya pay for,....

I bought a set of GLMs, 'n had to machine the riser matin' surface Flat to stop the leak into my motor,...... :rolleyes:

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I see there's different name brands.
Which one or good and bad?

achris

Basic rule, OEM is the top of the heap, GLM is WAAAAY down the bottom...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
looks like Dry Joint Manifolds with old fashioned Risers. I can't make sense of the pics in that auction.

achris

looks like Dry Joint Manifolds with old fashioned Risers. I can't make sense of the pics in that auction.

No, if you have a closer look you can see the water passages on the elbow mounting surface... And I wish people would stop calling exhaust elbows 'risers'. Merc call them elbows in all of their documentation. Risers are the small extensions that lift the elbow up for engines in low laying installations. They come in 1.7", 3", and 6"...

elbow.jpg

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0