Will one night at 32/Freezing crack a 5.7 Block??

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a curious question. Doesn't seem like it would. Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
If the low is 32 it probably won't unless it stay that low for a long time but why not just drain it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... To many variables,...odds are 'bout 10/ 90 there might be some damage,...

One of my Mentors always said it takes 6 hours at 26° to crack a block, but I've never tested his theory,....

I just Drain it long before that point,....

Last edited:

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's drained.

I always figured it would take a while to get the water in the engine to freeze. A curious quiestion

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
How long does it take your refrigerator to make solid ice cubes?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
no... even a dip into the mid 20's is fine for a boat on a trailer with a cover.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
no... even a dip into the mid 20's is fine for a boat on a trailer with a cover.

Next up is our 'block gambler'... He shots... It's a.... cracked block! Why? Draining is so easy, why would you even think about taking such a risk?

You are relying on a FORECAST of the temperature... It's been know for them to be quite a way off. Let's say they forecast 26... You think "Hey, 26 for a couple of hours. I'm cool" But they get it wrong, and the temperature drops to 22, and is there for about 4 hours (it happens!) and doesn't rise back up beyond freezing for 10 hours... I'd say you have a block replacement job coming up. Much easier, and for peace of mind, jump up in the boat, knock the drains out, poke 'em with a stick, sleep easy...

Chris......

tpenfield

Staff member
I tend to get nervous about not winterizing when the temps are forecasted to get near the freezing mark. To Chris' point, you do not know how accurate the forecast will be and such, particularly if you are in an area that tends to deviate from the forecasts.

This year, I actually made a special trip to my boat to drain stuff, when the forecast was to go into the mid-30's.

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh great. It's like I started the great oil debate on a Harley Davidson forum. Sorry. I was REALLY just curious.

I forgot to drain my 1980s 5.7 last year (which was kept in dry storage, un-insulated metal building) during what was the coldest winter in 60 years here. No problems whatsoever.

"tis better to drain, I know.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I don't drain my block as I have a 1/2 closed cooling system. The manifolds and heat exchanger DO get drained and I keep mine in a heated garage! Better safe than sorry!

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
i'm holding out another week or so after this cold blast we're getting. Looks like 50 for Sunday!

The low yesterday was 27 and my tiki fountain didn't even freeze.