454 water in oil milk shake

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello every one ,need yall help here again , boat been cruising well over the summer always cruise at 3100 rpm tues night i went striper fishing and bring it up to 3600 rpm boat runs like a champ . bring her down to 1500 rpm engine start misfiring i then shut it down and start fishing try to restart but is was hard finally it catch but it did not sound the same. i then head home at 3500 rpm with the boat running great again ,. i pop the engine cover open to notice oil in the bilge. today i went back , try to start the engine but it was slow turning over finally it started and idle great i shut it down try to restart but the engine was seizeing . i pull the dip stick and saw what look like water my head start hurting , smile. i then pull the oil filter nothing but milkshake omg, i pull all spark plugs crank the engine over now sit turn over freely with lots of water coming out of the two back cylinders on the port side . i crank and crank and it take for ever for the water to stop coming out. i have to drain the block disconnect all hoses going to the riser/manifold . where else the water could be coming from , intake, heads crack, riser, manifold, i just install two reman head s before the start off the season, riser are new manifold look old. help me plz thanks. sorry for the long book .

thumpar

Admiral
Could be manifolds, cracked block, heads, intake or head gasket. Seal up the cooling system and pressurize it. Then listen for where it is coming out. Before you take things apart do as much of the diagnostics you can.

alldodge

Staff member
hello every one ,need yall help here again , boat been cruising well over the summer always cruise at 3100 rpm tues night i went striper fishing and bring it up to 3600 rpm boat runs like a champ . bring her down to 1500 rpm engine start misfiring i then shut it down and start fishing try to restart but is was hard finally it catch but it did not sound the same. i then head home at 3500 rpm with the boat running great again ,. i pop the engine cover open to notice oil in the bilge. today i went back , try to start the engine but it was slow turning over finally it started and idle great i shut it down try to restart but the engine was seizeing . i pull the dip stick and saw what look like water my head start hurting , smile. i then pull the oil filter nothing but milkshake omg, i pull all spark plugs crank the engine over now sit turn over freely with lots of water coming out of the two back cylinders on the port side . i crank and crank and it take for ever for the water to stop coming out. i have to drain the block disconnect all hoses going to the riser/manifold . where else the water could be coming from , intake, heads crack, riser, manifold, i just install two reman head s before the start off the season, riser are new manifold look old. help me plz thanks. sorry for the long book .

What is the engine serial number we're discussing or at least the year, and how many hours is on the motor? Also is it slat or fresh water?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
serial number 0D389808 raw water cool i have a friend boat that gets water in two cylinder last season i remove all the plugs and crank the engine over antill there was no more water . it did not take long then , but today it seems the more i crank the more water comes out the # 5 and # 7 cylinder i took off the riser/manifold hose and it was still leaking water from the cylinders. i pull the two engine block drain plugs and let all the water out thats when it slow down , i think its a 1989 or 1990 , the boat is a 1990 sea ray 250 sundancer. man i was planning a big fishing trip this weekend. i put a heavy duty garbage bag under the engine pull the drain plug and let all the oil out , i mean milk shake, :laugh: the engine is cranking free, not jamming any more. i spray wd 40 in the spark plug holes. the boat is still in the slip i wont be able to do more shooting on it antill saturday., how can i presure the block ect could it be the oil cooler.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
my guts tell me it the intake manifold/gasket will post my find saturday.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
thanks bondo, even tho it was running great all summer i notice everytime i shut it down for a few min, it would hard to turn over on start up. prob water was hitting those two plugs all along.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
guys wiil this intake manifold work on my engine part # 14097092 casting #333841 if i have to tear off that side off heads am not using back that intake i had on it right now. thanks

NHGuy

Captain
Did you confirm that the existing one is bad first? Don't buy stuff you don't need!

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
nhguy thanks for the in put , i understan what ur saying but when i was doing the whole top end i realy in my hart did not like the look off the intake, it has way too much cales in the port bec this baot was sitting for a few years. ok hear me out eveen after i took off the riser hose the manifold hose while cranking over the engine water was just gushing out like a pipe , it never stop antil i pull the drain plugs from the block and let all the water runs out, so much water couldnt be getting in by the manifold because the hoses was disconnect. i had just redone the top end before the season start s in january, two rebuilt heads new head gaskets ect . the boat runs great not a problem getting on plane with four guys on the boat cruise at 3200 at about 20 knots gps. last with all these trouble attention it did not over heat. thanks just have to put everything in . troubleshooting will be in the morning. thanks

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
up date here guys pleae help . went back to the boat today, first i crank the engine over to get all the marvel oil from each cylinder i now did a compression test this is the result.port side bank # 7 150 psi #5 90 psi #3 160 psi #1 160 psi starboard bank # 70 psi i spray some oil in it andit now read 110 psi # 6 180 psi # 4 180 psi #2 140 psi, i took off port side manifold and man it was full with water all exhaust ports, but only # 7 and # 5 ports have sighn off water rust the . i then take off the intake and wow cylinder # 8 # 7 # 5 is the only cylinders that has sighn off water rust . the intake bolts was not tork well they seem to pull too easy. guys am stuck right now please tell me what to do next this engine was running great but it seems water was hitting those plugs from day one. thats why ithard to start sometimes when i shut it down turn over real slow. i will try post some pics but am not computer savvy. how did the water gets in my engine??// is it the manifolds is it the intake is it the head gaskets risers are new. god bless

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
fogot to mention starboard manifold did not has any water in it no sighns

alldodge

Staff member
up date here guys pleae help . went back to the boat today, first i crank the engine over to get all the marvel oil from each cylinder i now did a compression test this is the result.port side bank # 7 150 psi #5 90 psi #3 160 psi #1 160 psi starboard bank # 70 psi i spray some oil in it andit now read 110 psi # 6 180 psi # 4 180 psi #2 140 psi, i took off port side manifold and man it was full with water all exhaust ports, but only # 7 and # 5 ports have sighn off water rust the . i then take off the intake and wow cylinder # 8 # 7 # 5 is the only cylinders that has sighn off water rust . the intake bolts was not tork well they seem to pull too easy. guys am stuck right now please tell me what to do next this engine was running great but it seems water was hitting those plugs from day one. thats why ithard to start sometimes when i shut it down turn over real slow. i will try post some pics but am not computer savvy. how did the water gets in my engine??// is it the manifolds is it the intake is it the head gaskets risers are new. god bless

The high compression numbers (above 150) comes from oil and/or oil and water in the cylinders increasing the pressure. You need to find out what failed and so far this has not happened. My guess is your head gasket has failed. Recommend pulling the head and would start with the port side

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
The high compression numbers (above 150) comes from oil and/or oil and water in the cylinders increasing the pressure. You need to find out what failed and so far this has not happened. My guess is your head gasket has failed. Recommend pulling the head and would start with the port side

thank alldodge , i just put new head gaskets in january, reman heads, maybe i mess up and did not tighten the head and intake well. when i put thing back together i start it on the muff runs great i then winterize it , put it away . august i launch it and it was turning over kinda slow but it did start and runs fine up antil now the only thing i notice was hard start and turning over slow after shutdown i now realize it was water getting in the cylinder. i have pics but cant post them clearly showing slatwater been sitting in the exhaust port off the intake for # 5 # 7 # 8 order a new intake am now going tho use dons method off testing the manifolds with acetone thinner, i kno some will say am throwing parts at it but i dont know how to do these leak down tests, someone told me to retorqe those heads or put new gaskets . worst i just grab a long block put it back together and add a heat exchanger and call it a day. thanks yall god bless.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
update what i found is a crack head, i order new head and can someone give me the correct head torque, i seem to find all diffrent torque spec manual sat 90 ft lbs some say 80 or 85 75 for long bolts 65 for short bolt. thanks

alldodge

Staff member
update what i found is a crack head, i order new head and can someone give me the correct head torque, i seem to find all diffrent torque spec manual sat 90 ft lbs some say 80 or 85 75 for long bolts 65 for short bolt. thanks

Gen IV
Head bolts 80 ft lb
Rocker studs 50 ft lb

Gen V
Head Bolts 85 ft lb
Rocker studs 45 ft lb

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...er15.html#/214

Edit: to find out what heads you have give us the casting numbers

Last edited:

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
alldodge thanks for the heads up. base on this serial number 0D389898 can you tell me if i have the v or iv thanks much,.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
i found it online i have the gen iv thank the block has the round coolant holes.

alldodge

Staff member
The best method of determining Gen are the block and head casting numbers. Head number is under the valve cover and the block should be on the rear deck below the distributer.

Thinking your block would be 10051107 and the heads may be 14092360

Edit: I'm fairly certain yours is a Gen IV as well

Last edited: