Big block retake on exhaust shutters.

alldodge

Staff member
Removed the old metal pivoting shutters a long time ago on my Formula and replaced them with what I thought was correct. Turns out this was probably in error. Installed 807166A3 which look like these
Shutters 807166A3 old.jpg

Come to find out through some research I should have installed 807166A1
tpenfield thread from May 2013
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...s-outdrives/610230-new-exhaust-shutters/page3

and from Mercruiser parts diagram item 7 http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...s-outdrives/610230-new-exhaust-shutters/page3

Shutter 807166A1 new.jpg

So my question is will the new ones fit? The old style was metal and had a pin which slide out through the side of the Y-pipe. The pin was removed and the metal shutter was then removed. The exhaust boot is used to seal the hole which the pin was pushed through. On Ted's previous post I see a slot not a hole. I guess since this is rubber it could be compressed and installed, just don't know.

Y pipe.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, the A3 and A1 are not revisions of the same base part, which was confusing to me at first.

I think you may have the right part in going with the A3. The rubber flange will hold it at the top of the Y pipe. The A1's require the slot in the top of the Y pipe.

aChris would be able to verify the right part.

BTW - I just checked the flappers that I installed 2 seasons ago, and they look tired. Probably could use a replacement as they no longer hold themselves up in the closed position.

alldodge

Staff member
Yea, the A3 and A1 are not revisions of the same base part, which was confusing to me at first.

I think you may have the right part in going with the A3. The rubber flange will hold it at the top of the Y pipe. The A1's require the slot in the top of the Y pipe.

aChris would be able to verify the right part.

BTW - I just checked the flappers that I installed 2 seasons ago, and they look tired. Probably could use a replacement as they no longer hold themselves up in the closed position.

That's what gave me the first clue to replace. One of my A3's do not appear to be holding it closed