Bravo sea water pump R&R

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Does the entire pump have to come out? Or can just the housing be removed? Working on it tomorow. Engine serial 0F153718. 5.7 bravo 1. Fuel pump NOT mounted on water pump.

As always thanks for any help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It is easier with it on the bench. the bolts go thru the mounting bracket ,some are threaded ,some have nuts

thumpar

Admiral
On mine it is only the 4 bolts for the pulley and the 3 nuts for the pump to come out. They have to be removed to do the job anyway so just remove it and do the work on the bench.

Fun Times

Staff member
Depending on the room you have to work around the pump area, you could either remove the whole pump assembly and take it to a bench or you could unbolt the pump housing from the base and slide the plastic housing off the shaft.
Most likely your pump housing will look like the first photo below while the original would have looked like the second one below. If you decide to leave the bracket in place, you'll have to be able to gain access to the nuts (item # 23) that go to some of the bolts in the first photo. It's really all about finding the most comfortable way of gaining access to help determine what process you should take. Good luck.:)
mAzsOUvN59rfkNbt7NPgikw.jpg

37739_500.gif

thumpar

Admiral
The 3 nuts (#23 from the above pic) are the only thing that hold the pump to the bracket. Those have to be removed to separate the housing. One those are removed the onlything keeping in the bracket is the pulley. My boat it smaller than yours and can't imagine doing it with it still in the boat.

If you have the older style like the second picture above you can use the single piece housing with no issues.

Speakrdude

Ensign
If you remove the exhaust manifold, you can get to the rear of it, if the fuel pump is not in the way. I have done it that way before.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
A little follow up.......

With the help of my 20 y.o. son who is much smaller than me, after a couple of hours, 2 red bulls, and a lot of bad words, we finally got the pump out.

IMAG0800.jpg
What a royal PITA

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
impeller replacement from this point was super easy. Although somehow we managed to swap 2 of the bolt locations and changed out a long bolt for a short one which created an interference and couldn't replace the pump in the mount. Took it back out, swapped bolts, all good.

For anyone who questions how necessary impeller replacement is, I submit the following:

New impeller
IMAG0802.jpg

old impeller
IMAG0803.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hope your able to find all the missing pieces. Those little pieces can clog up your power steering cooler, thermostat, and restrict water going to the engine. Fist place to look if you don't have it all is the PS cooler.

thumpar

Admiral
It looks like you removed it the hard way. If you take the pulley off then the 3 nuts on that go on the pump housing bolts you don't have remove any of the mounting hardware brackets.