Mercruiser exhaust bellows (Fun Time)

LX Kid

Ensign
Ever since I've owned my boat, 6 years now, it has not had an exhaust bellows hooked up. I was told by a marine mechanic that it was not really that important to have one so I never put one on. How important, or not, is the bellows? Just the same I ordered one yesterday to install. I know it's a bugar to change, without removing the whole outdrive, but when "your dumber than dirt," fools will jump right in with both feet and wind up spending "lots" of money needlessly. That's why the pros get the big bucks!

Image2.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Ever since I've owned my boat, 6 years now, it has not had an exhaust bellows hooked up. I was told by a marine mechanic that it was not really that important to have one so I never put one on. How important, or not, is the bellows? Just the same I ordered one yesterday to install. I know it's a bugar to change, without removing the whole outdrive, but when "your dumber than dirt," fools with jump right in with both feet and wind up spending "lots" of money needlessly. That's why the "Pro's" get the big bucks! LoL

Just to make some were talking about the same thing, the elbow is item 3 in the link below (7 degree)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+EXHAUST+ELBOW
Or item 4 or 4a (15 degree)

And were not talking about the exhaust elbow item 12 which many call a riser in error

Assuming we are discussing one of the first items above, then I would say, so long as your exhaust is not leaking water or exhaust out of the hose, your fine. The elbows just make it easier to make the bend. If you have the 7 degree been, a hose would not have much of an issue making the bend.

Edit: My mistake, mistook bellows for elbow

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks Alldodge but I pretty sure this is old news that I have already conceded to that it is an "elbow" and not a riser. The riser sits under the elbow, which is not to be confused with the 90 degree elbow further towards the strern. Also I'm pretty sure you posted this in my new listing concerning "exhaust bellows replacement." Thanks, Ron

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
Looks like someone has placed an "extension" onto the exhaust flange for ease of replacement of the bellows. Am I correct in assuming this?

20141105_131120_zps233c8aca.jpg

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
You dont need (want) the bellows...you got the tube!
Less restriction, less back pressure, less pain in the butt to replace.

Edit: There is nothin to repair unless you want the bellows...remove the tube and install the bellows or replace the tube for a new one.

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
You dont need (want) the bellows...you got the tube!
Less restriction, less back pressure, less pain in the butt to replace.

My bellows just came in the mail a few minutes ago. I've never heard of the "tube" exhaust. It is cracked, as in the picture, and does it just close over the exhaust port of the upper? What needs to be done, if anything?

Edit: Maybe just go around the tube's outside with something like muffler repair tape to keep it from further deterioration? (For a season or two anyway.)

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
My bellows just came in the mail a few minutes ago. I've never heard of the "tube" exhaust. It is cracked, as in the picture, and does it just close over the exhaust port of the upper? What needs to be done, if anything

Yes thats all it does......

Take old exhaust tube off.........Install new exhaust bellows. Note: You will need to buy or make an bellows tool to install it......Or send it back and buy a new exhaust tube and install in less than 15 min.

thumpar

Admiral
In your case I would just get a new tube. If you do go with the bellows get bellows adhesive. You say that you have had it for 6 years. Have the u-joint or shift cable bellows been replaced in that time? If not it is getting close to being time to do those too.

LX Kid

Ensign
Thumper:

Maybe your right, "butt" after watching the YouBoob videos, it looks like a real pain to do. If I can do it easier with the same results, I'd rather do it. Now that I know about the exhaust tubes, and how they work, I think that is the route I'll take. Now I know why the Marine Mechanic told me that I really didn't need a new bellows.

My Marine Mechanic, and friend, gave me a hand when I first bought the boat back in 2008. Had to do some mods early on with his help in identifying problem areas. Had sooooooo many problems to work on that cast me thousands
of dollars while even doing my own work. Frank Parker down in Sarasota, Florida is really a good mechanic and friend.

Fun Times

Staff member
Right now you have an exhaust tube like seen below. Being it cracked the way it is, you don't have too replace it but you may as well. To remove the tube you have now, just remove the hoes clamp holding the tube on. Then either get another tube and easily install it with one clamp or go for the harder to install exhaust bellows you already own as a few minutes ago.;) On some transom assembly models, there may be a small hole found on the portside that is inline with the clamp screw so you can use a long screwdriver or socket extension bar so you can use a 5/16 socket. You'll have to put the 5/16 socket on the extension bar after you insert the bar in the hole. Also using Quicksilver Power Tune part # 92-858080Q03 would help make installation a little more easier with the bellows install. Good luck.:)
exhaustbellows4.jpg