Engine out, what to look for?

Jvoisel

Cadet
Be easy on the new guy fellas.. Just picked up my firs I/O boat, 1999 Caravelle 188 with a 4.3 Mercruiser / Alpha 1. Has the dreaded 4.3 starter issues so I have pulled the engine to fix that but not sure what else to look for while it's out.

This is my first ever I/O, always been around outboards so this is all new to me. From reading, I've looked at the bellows, gimbal bearing, and all hoses/cables so far; all seem good. Not sure what else to look at, I noticed the exhaust flappers when I pulled the motor, but haven't checked those out yet(not sure what to look for, will search)

I've already ordered an alignment tool for putting the motor back in, open to ANY suggestions on what to look for, inspect, replace, etc. to get this back together as easily as possible and get the boat running like it should be. Thanks fellas!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Inspect the oil pan for any rust spots, repair as necessary,coat with undercoating compound or similar compound, install a 2nd small bilge pump at the transom .

Jvoisel

Cadet
Inspect the oil pan for any rust spots, repair as necessary,coat with undercoating compound or similar compound, install a 2nd small bilge pump at the transom .

Thanks. Pan will definitely be inspected. And the only bilge in the boat right now is a tiny, rule 360. I will be adding a slightly larger pump as well as wiring this one in as a backup if needed.

dozerII

Admiral
Would be a good time to replace the lower shift cable, unless it look really new.

tpenfield

Staff member
Good time to check out the transom, stringers and other structural members for signs of softness, etc. Not sure if Caravelle used wood in their structure back in 1999, but definitely a good time to check things out.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Check the gimbal bearing for smoothness, and all your ground straps... making sure they are clean & shiny.

mr 88

Commander
When mine was out I hooked up a oil drain hose. Small enough diameter that it fits through the transom drain hole. Now all I do is feed the hose through the drain hole and unscrew the cap off the hose ,no more oil mess in the bilge.

Jvoisel

Cadet
Pulled the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs on my lunch break today, the STB side cylinders were all full of water. There was rusty, nasty water inside of both manifolds but the STBD side cylinders were full of clean water when I pulled the spark plugs out. Oil is also milky.

Explains the starter binding issue, guess I'll continue to tear it down this evening and see what else I can find.

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow, so would this be a boat that you did not test out before buying it?

Jvoisel

Cadet
Wow, so would this be a boat that you did not test out before buying it?

Sure did; however I could easily sell the trailer for more than I paid for the boat. I bought it from a family friend, he was honestly just an owner.. had no clue about the boat other than the fact that it had starter issues. I bought the boat planning to pull the motor, I didn't expect water damage, but I don't have a problem replacing the engine if need be. I checked hull, trailer, and outdrive before I bought it and those are all definitely solid!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Pulled the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs on my lunch break today, the STB side cylinders were all full of water. There was rusty, nasty water inside of both manifolds but the STBD side cylinders were full of clean water when I pulled the spark plugs out. Oil is also milky.

Explains the starter binding issue, guess I'll continue to tear it down this evening and see what else I can find.

Ouch. Hopefully you got the boat at a great price... and hopefully the transom is not rotted. That's a lot of "hopefully." ;)

But seriously, your engine is more than likely toast. Will need a complete rebuild at best and replacement at worst.

Jvoisel

Cadet
Transom seems great! whole boat is solid or I would not have taken it home.

Looks like I'm going to be replacing the junk 1 piece exhaust manifolds with new 2 piece manifolds and flappers are shot so replacing those too. Still haven't gone into motor, but just loaded it into truck today so should be able to tear it down tonight and see what's up.

New manifolds, risers, elbows, flappers, and all new hardware for exhaust.. Am I missing anything else? My first time dealing with I/O exhaust, want to make sure I get it right the first time!

Bondo

Staff member
Transom seems great! whole boat is solid or I would not have taken it home.

Looks like I'm going to be replacing the junk 1 piece exhaust manifolds with new 2 piece manifolds and flappers are shot so replacing those too. Still haven't gone into motor, but just loaded it into truck today so should be able to tear it down tonight and see what's up.

New manifolds, risers, elbows, flappers, and all new hardware for exhaust.. Am I missing anything else? My first time dealing with I/O exhaust, want to make sure I get it right the first time!

Ayuh,.... Did ya buy the conversion "Kit",..??

Generally speakin', it ain't a plug, 'n play swap,....

zealer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Be easy on the new guy fellas.. Just picked up my firs I/O boat, 1999 Caravelle 188 with a 4.3 Mercruiser / Alpha 1. Has the dreaded 4.3 starter issues so I have pulled the engine to fix that but not sure what else to look for while it's out.
What are the dreaded starter issues?

Jvoisel

Cadet
Finally picked up a motor for this, hoping to have it all back together within the next few weeks.

Ayuh,.... Did ya buy the conversion "Kit",..??

Generally speakin', it ain't a plug, 'n play swap,....

Haven't bought any exhaust yet, but have found plenty of info here on the forums to know what I'll need. Found a few kits, but can also piece the same parts together for cheaper than a "kit".. Interesting

Going to check the gimbal bearing out tomorrow, anything else i need to look at on the transom assembly while its apart?

UncleWillie

Captain
Thanks. Pan will definitely be inspected. And the only bilge in the boat right now is a tiny, rule 360. I will be adding a slightly larger pump as well as wiring this one in as a backup if needed.

Use the tiny 360 as the primary, smaller pumps remove more water than larger pumps.
Small pumps are slower, but ultimately leave less water when they shut off.
Add a new 1000+ pump as a backup.
If the larger pump failed, having a smaller pump as a backup invites disaster.
When hiring a bodyguard, it pays to employ someone who is bigger than you are.

Jvoisel

Cadet
Use the tiny 360 as the primary, smaller pumps remove more water than larger pumps.
Small pumps are slower, but ultimately leave less water when they shut off.
Add a new 1000+ pump as a backup.
If the larger pump failed, having a smaller pump as a backup invites disaster.
When hiring a bodyguard, it pays to employ someone who is bigger than you are.

Good point on that one. Will do.

Gimbal bearing seems to spin freely, checked it with the alignment tool. All of the rubber bellows also seem to still be in good shape.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Good point on that one. Will do.

Gimbal bearing seems to spin freely, checked it with the alignment tool. All of the rubber bellows also seem to still be in good shape.

How did you check alignment without new engine installed?

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
What exhaust manifolds and flapper or u going with? Just curious because iam doing same thing.