4.3 mercruiser wont shift out of gear unless motor shut off.

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ALLDodge - People on DTR have linked to some of your threads. Small world.

What is the tension supposed to be like for the lower cable? Before I tear the drive apart to change the cable, I want to be sure its bad. I have pretty good tension pushing it in and out. It has the 3" of travel as recommended in the video. It does move with a moderate amount of force. Similar to an auto trans cable in a car. Just without the clicks. If the cable is supposed to move freely and fast, then I assume the cable is bad. Putting it in and out of gear does stop the propeller from moving in opposing directions. So I do know it is working as it should. I am leaning towards the controller or adjustment is way out. I may be doing something wrong. There is that threaded rod piece in the cable coming from the controller that adjusts in and out, then the brass nut tightens. (older cable) I am feeling there is an adjustment there I am missing and cant find in the video section.

alldodge

Staff member

What is the tension supposed to be like for the lower cable? Before I tear the drive apart to change the cable, I want to be sure its bad. I have pretty good tension pushing it in and out. It has the 3" of travel as recommended in the video. It does move with a moderate amount of force. Similar to an auto trans cable in a car. Just without the clicks. If the cable is supposed to move freely and fast, then I assume the cable is bad. Putting it in and out of gear does stop the propeller from moving in opposing directions. So I do know it is working as it should. I am leaning towards the controller or adjustment is way out. I may be doing something wrong. There is that threaded rod piece in the cable coming from the controller that adjusts in and out, then the brass nut tightens. (older cable) I am feeling there is an adjustment there I am missing and cant find in the video section.

Could be just as Bondo mentioned that the cable is gummed up. Cable should move easy but not so easy it takes next to nothing to move it. Adjust the cable per the vids in the link below. If adjustment doesn't fix it then you may need to replace the cable

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...gines-outdrives/604924-a-couple-of-new-videos

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Still sounds like the Cable to me,....

Once the dogs are aligned, it oughta shift through the gears, nearly effortlessly, a pound or less of pressure,...

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So..... I did some snooping, the bellows seal for the shift cable was cracked. I ordered a shift cable and am having someone put it in. Am wondering if there is another issue because the seal had water intrusion I should be looking for?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If you are getting the shift cable done, you should seriously consider having the driveshaft bellows replaced at the same time. Have the exhaust bellows and water hoses checked to see if they need replacing. Use OEM Mercruiser parts, worth the extra money IMHO.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to change my lower shift cable every 2-3 year because I would star having same isue, but my boat stay s out in weather.
Another thing is it helps to adjust cable will boat is in water.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had cable changed. Problem was cable. Water got in but not past the drive or exhaust bellows. Said the drive flange seal failed as well. Changed the gear oil, no issue with water. I got lucky. Well worth the cash for the mobile service and he also diagnosed a bad water pump and showed me some issues I may have with coast guard inspections. Final note; change the cable. And if you are new to boating, go to a coast guard auxiliary unit and have an inspection done while the boat is on your trailer. They cannot write you a ticket unless you are on the water, and will show you things that need to be fixed or changed before you do get out on the water and the ticket book does come out.