Merc 260 5.7 backfiring, timing or electrical?

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
Long story short, old motor sat around for a few years, rings froze, I did a complete rebuild of the bottom end. I've got it all back together, trying to make her fire. Only problem is that it's firing out the carburetor. Obviously it won't start. If you hold the throttle open, it sounds like it is backfiring on every cylinder as it cranks. I checked the timing and it's fine. I will be double-checking to make sure nothing funky is going on but it should be fine, The number 1 intake opens when the rotor is in the #1 firing position, so the cam is in correctly. The distributor might need some minor adjustment typical of a rebuild, but it should be close.

I had to replace the motion sensor and rotor, since all the leads were corroded. I also replaced the coil. There's nothing in the book about it, but I read somewhere that there is a procedure you have to do when you install a new motion sensor, but I'm not sure. That might have been for newer motors.

I'm also wondering if the ICM is bad, but I read somewhere that that is a solid-state module, so the likelihood of that failing is really minimal. Plus it's like $600. Other than that, I'm at a loss, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
I guess I should qualify that this is a 1988 model year out of a Sea Ray.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Long story short, old motor sat around for a few years, rings froze, I did a complete rebuild of the bottom end. I've got it all back together, trying to make her fire. Only problem is that it's firing out the carburetor. Obviously it won't start. If you hold the throttle open, it sounds like it is backfiring on every cylinder as it cranks. I checked the timing and it's fine. I will be double-checking to make sure nothing funky is going on but it should be fine, The number 1 intake opens when the rotor is in the #1 firing position, so the cam is in correctly. The distributor might need some minor adjustment typical of a rebuild, but it should be close.

I had to replace the motion sensor and rotor, since all the leads were corroded. I also replaced the coil. There's nothing in the book about it, but I read somewhere that there is a procedure you have to do when you install a new motion sensor, but I'm not sure. That might have been for newer motors.

I'm also wondering if the ICM is bad, but I read somewhere that that is a solid-state module, so the likelihood of that failing is really minimal. Plus it's like $600. Other than that, I'm at a loss, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

Ayuh,.... Ya say the timin' is On, yet it sounds like the firin' order is Not, or the distributor is in, 180° Out,....

JustJason

Vice Admiral
The number 1 intake opens when the rotor is in the #1 firing position

That isn't right. #1 iintake valve should be closing as the rotor is sweeping towards #1, and should be fully closed long before the rotor actually points to #1.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The number 1 intake opens when the rotor is in the #1 firing position, so the cam is in correctly. The distributor might need some minor adjustment typical of a rebuild, but it should be close.

Nope, try again. timing is wrong, dist installed wrong. anytime you pull a dist and then rotate the motor, timing has to be reset.
rotate motor until #1 intake opens and closes, continue to rotate slowly untill TDC is reached. timing tab should be on "0" degrees
install dist with rotor pointing to #1 in the cap, start motor and set timing to spec.

Last edited:

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You say the engine set up several years -- Don't rule out dirty carb jets. A lean mixture will cause an engine to backfire out the carb. Run it on half choke to see if it still backfires. If it does it probably is the ignition. If no backfire you got a dirty carb.

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
You say the engine set up several years -- Don't rule out dirty carb jets. A lean mixture will cause an engine to backfire out the carb. Run it on half choke to see if it still backfires. If it does it probably is the ignition. If no backfire you got a dirty carb.

Carb has been rebuilt already. Possible, I'll check it again.

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
The number 1 intake opens when the rotor is in the #1 firing position, so the cam is in correctly. The distributor might need some minor adjustment typical of a rebuild, but it should be close.

Nope, try again. timing is wrong, dist installed wrong. anytime you pull a dist and then rotate the motor, timing has to be reset.
rotate motor until #1 intake opens and closes, continue to rotate slowly untill TDC is reached. timing tab should be on "0" degrees
install dist with rotor pointing to #1 in the cap, start motor and set timing to spec.

So it's 180 off then? It should fire #1 just before tdc on the exhaust stroke, right?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Spark plugs fire the cylinders at 6 degrees BEFORE top dead center of the compression stroke.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
spark plugs fire the cylinders at 6 degrees BEFORE top dead center of the compression stroke. how did you determine TDC of #1 when you dropped the dist in?
watch bondo`s avatar

Last edited:

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
spark plugs fire the cylinders at 6 degrees BEFORE top dead center of the compression stroke. how did you determine TDC of #1 when you dropped the dist in?
watch bondo`s avatar

The book told me to set it at TDC before the intake opens, and then adjust when it's running. Obviously that's not working out so well, so either I read it wrong or the book is wrong. However, that's pretty much what it sounds like is wrong.

thumpar

Admiral
I think you have the distributor 180 out. Put the engine at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke and then put the rotor at #1 cylinder.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The book told me to set it at TDC before the intake opens, and then adjust when it's running. Obviously that's not working out so well, so either I read it wrong or the book is wrong. However, that's pretty much what it sounds like is wrong.

Which book? And you DEFINITELY have the dissy out 180 degrees. Backfiring through the carb is a classic symptom of that...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Something is wrong there. watching bondo`a avatar move you would see the intake vale open on the downward stroke drawing the fuel mix into the cylinder.
At the bottom of the stroke the intake closes and the mixture is compressed, somewhere around 6 degrees before tdc the plug fires and ignites the mixture forcing the piston downward, at the bottom of the firing stroke the exaust valve open ,the piston comes up discharging the burnt fuel and just about at the top of the stroke the exaust closes and the intake opens.
Then the process repeats

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not to poke a stick in your cage but how familiar are you with GM 5.7 motors and the rebuilding of same?

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
Which book? And you DEFINITELY have the dissy out 180 degrees. Backfiring through the carb is a classic symptom of that...

Seloc manual. It's been pretty reliable but something's amiss here. I'm going to try this again later today. Hopefully it's a PEBKAC error.

DJ Jaws

Seaman Apprentice
Not to poke a stick in your cage but how familiar are you with GM 5.7 motors and the rebuilding of same?

This is the second one I've done, but I've been working on this stuff since I was 6 years old.

Bondo

Staff member
Not sure what you're asking here.

It's a trick question, in that the cam timin' marks, 'n the Igition timin' marks, have Nothin' in common, at All,......

Pull the distributor, 'n drop it back in at 180° from where it is, 'n try it,....