5L not getting water into block!

thumpar

Admiral
If there are any missing pieces make sure you backflush it. Mine went last year and had not fins left. I shoved the garden hose in the hose that goes into the input of the thermostat housing. The pieces came out. You may want to just pull the whole drive. It will be a lot easier to do the job. I built a stand for my alpha.

LX Kid

Ensign
If there are any missing pieces make sure you backflush it. Mine went last year and had not fins left. I shoved the garden hose in the hose that goes into the input of the thermostat housing. The pieces came out. You may want to just pull the whole drive. It will be a lot easier to do the job. I built a stand for my alpha.

Thanks and I'll keep that in mind when I get it pulled tomorrow. Come on over and get your hands greasy with me. Last time I pulled it I had to dig a hole in the ground to get the clearance because the tilt wasn't working. LoL Should be a easy job this time though.

thumpar

Admiral
Thanks and I'll keep that in mind when I get it pulled tomorrow. Come on over and get your hands greasy with me. Last time I pulled it I had to dig a hole in the ground to get the clearance because the tilt wasn't working. LoL Should be a easy job this time though.
If I was closer I would come and help. I had the alpha removal and install down and can do it it in about 10 minutes minus the internal work.

LX Kid

Ensign
A "man's" plans sure can be circumvented by the wife's honey do "now" list! Played taxi driver most of the day for grand daughters' Taeqwondo and Girl Scout canned food round-up and delivery! Besides "all" that the weather turned sooooo windy and cold, 67 degrees, and was not fit for man nor beast to be out there working on the boat! LoL LoL

Tomorrow is another day in the Sunshine State. Maybe the ice will break and melt!
Cartangry.gif

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
We could only wish for that temp here. Right now we are lucky just to hit 50. Last night we had our first fire in the woodstove. When the wife is not looking grab the your wrenches and yank the drive. Put it in forward, 6 nuts on the drive, remove pivot pin and yank it off. I could do mine by my self with the Alpha. Go over the manual a couple times an you should be able to do the impeller in less than an hour.

LX Kid

Ensign
We could only wish for that temp here. Right now we are lucky just to hit 50. Last night we had our first fire in the woodstove. When the wife is not looking grab the your wrenches and yank the drive. Put it in forward, 6 nuts on the drive, remove pivot pin and yank it off. I could do mine by my self with the Alpha. Go over the manual a couple times an you should be able to do the impeller in less than an hour.

Yup, that sounds like a plan! I'm kind of anxious to see if I did any damage that shredded the impeller. Glad you reminded me about putting it in forward gear.

LX Kid

Ensign
Sent PM to Thumper and maybe someone else here may have some suggestions for me.

Trying to separate the lower from the upper and it's stuck. I fear the splined shaft may be holding it in. Removed fluid, put it full forward, removed 3 nuts, two allen bolts and turned prop counter-clockwise to insure it was engaged. Been using the two 5/8" side studs, with nuts on top, as a fulcrum leverage point. The lower has a slight gap but won't drop off. Any suggestions? Thanks

20141102_120236_zpsa6394126.jpg

20141102_111110_zpsc74682ce.jpg

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
are you sure all 5 nuts and the allen head bolt UNDER the trim tab is out
Get rid of the screwdriver and use 2 3/8ths open end wrenches
Have never seen an 1982 with trim cylinders that old!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
are you sure all 5 nuts and the allen head bolt UNDER the trim tab is out
Get rid of the screwdriver and use 2 3/8ths open end wrenches
Have never seen an 1982 with trim cylinders that old!!!!!!!!

Yes and I stand corrected. I did remove five nuts and the two allen bolts. Forgot to count the two nuts up under at the rear. What will the two 3/8" open end wrenches do for leverage? I replaced the cylinders long time ago when I first started restoring her. They work good and were cheap!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
with a tight unit you never want to pry in that area, placing the wrenches on top of the nuts and screwing the nuts upward pushed the stud downward.This creates a slight gap for a putty knife

LX Kid

Ensign
with a tight unit you never want to pry in that area, placing the wrenches on top of the nuts and screwing the nuts upward pushed the stud downward.This creates a slight gap for a putty knife

Thank you very much for that great tip! Worked like a charm. It was actually stuck at the rear locating pin and the two studs about mid ways. They had corrosion on them making them stick. Here's couple of pics. The impeller was " wacked" and I think it and the metal cavity were spinning together. Gonna put her back together tomorrow. Did you notice the water "pee" hole had oil in it? Wasn't like that before I ran it up hot.

(I have a complete kit with new housing to rebuild it.)

20141102_153242_zps32a79462.jpg

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Yep. That looks like the problem. When you put it together don't use the o-ring that goes in the groove on top of the vertical shaft.

LX Kid

Ensign
Yep. That looks like the problem. When you put it together don't use the o-ring that goes in the groove on top of the vertical shaft.

"The" problem I'm guessing your talking about in the impeller failure. What is the function of the "O" ring at the top of the splined shaft? Any guess why there is oil in the "pee" hole? Is the hole just a visual indication that the pump is working? When the engine ran and got hot it was only shooting out about three inches. Usually it would squirt about 12" of water.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Looks like the impeller housing failure with a raggedy impeller. The o-ring is not needed and can cause problems if it slips out of position. You will need to pressure test the drive to find out what is leaking.

LX Kid

Ensign
When I drained the lube I did notice that the lube was "creamer coffee colored!" Definite sign of water mixing with the lube. Looks like I've got a seal leaking somewhere. My easy fix just got "not so easy!" Anyone know what seal it could be?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
we will need a close up pic of the water pump base to see if there is damage there also

LX Kid

Ensign
Oh. I just looked at a diagram and there is a base that sits below the steel plate. I never had that off before. I'll take a pic tomorrow.