5L not getting water into block!

LX Kid

Ensign
(Sea Water Cooled)
Drat, dang-it and dag nabit! My new "elbows" came in last night and I installed them this yesterday. Still no water coming out the exhaust at boats aft. Pulled off the thermostat housing and no water in the block. As mentioned, in earlier post, I have no "guts" in the thermostat and it's just free flow. Guess I'm going to have to back flush the all the hoses thru the block and on out. Probably going to have to remove the water pump and check it out as well. I replaced the pump about four years ago with a marine pump but don't think it was designed for sea water! The pump impeller in the outdrive is also about 3 years old and because it's been sitting two years has probably quit working. Today I guess I'll pull the lower and put a kit in when it arrives from Amazon. Anyone got anymore advice for finding the my "no water thru the block?" At least the mortor starts up and runs well.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Pull the water intake hose off of the thermostat housing, put your muffs on the outdrive, turn on your hose, and fire it up for a few seconds. You should see lots of water coming out the end of the inlet hose. If not, you have a blockage somewhere in that line, or your pump in the outdrive is toast.

dozerII

Admiral
Pumps would be a good place to start as you mentioned. Hope you haven't run it too long without water as you can melt the shutters out of the y-pipe pretty quick.

LX Kid

Ensign
Ordered a lower pump kit and should be here next week. Guess I'll give it a rest until then. Got some other honey do's and motorcycle maintenance to take care of. Thanks guys!

LX Kid

Ensign
Pumps would be a good place to start as you mentioned. Hope you haven't run it too long without water as you can melt the shutters out of the y-pipe pretty quick.

Oooch! I forgot about that. I shut it down when it got up to 200 degrees. "Out of the skillet and right into the fire!"

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
f the shutters "don't" close what would be the result? I'm guessing water would flow back into the "Y" tube at idle. My elbows are way above the water line and think they would

thumpar

Admiral
f the shutters "don't" close what would be the result? I'm guessing water would flow back into the "Y" tube at idle. My elbows are way above the water line and think they would
If there is ever an abrupt stop the water would rush toward the stern and up into the elbows.

LX Kid

Ensign
If there is ever an abrupt stop the water would rush toward the stern and up into the elbows.

Oh, I think your correct on that one! If I stick my hand in the exhaust bellows would I be able to hold them shut and put water in the top of the "Y" tube to see if they work? I've really never seen these shutters in question.

thumpar

Admiral
The shutters are normally shut. All you have to do it look at them to tell if they are working. The exhaust exiting is what opens them. You remove the rubber boots to see them

LX Kid

Ensign
The shutters are normally shut. All you have to do it look at them to tell if they are working. The exhaust exiting is what opens them. You remove the rubber boots to see them

When I looked down the Y tube I didn't see anything! Could it be it's down at the bottom just before exiting thru the transom? Mine is a Pre-Alpha. Can't say if the Y is a one piece or 3 piece cause I can't see way down under the engine.

20141024_130028_zpsa57ce73a.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
When I looked down the Y tube I didn't see anything! Could it be it's down at the bottom just before exiting thru the transom? Mine is a Pre-Alpha. Can't say if the Y is a one piece or 3 piece cause I can't see way down under the engine.

Ayuh,.... I'm thinkin' ya got a 3 piece, 'n they're supposed to be in the bottom,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you ran the motor long enough to get the motor to 200 degrees and there was no water flow. You raw water pump. Has long since melted the impeller and the housing.

If you don't see water after 10 seconds, something is wrong.

Also, when running on muffs, make sure you have the hose on full blast. Also, it is best to use a 3/4 dia hose if possible.

LX Kid

Ensign
If you ran the motor long enough to get the motor to 200 degrees and there was no water flow. You raw water pump. Has long since melted the impeller and the housing.

If you don't see water after 10 seconds, something is wrong.

Also, when running on muffs, make sure you have the hose on full blast. Also, it is best to use a 3/4 dia hose if possible.

I guess it's like the old saying, "Experience cost! How much do you want to pay?" Out of curiosity, If the raw water impeller is flooded with water, from the garden hose, how come it will it be melted? I "thought," and that's dangerous for me, that the pump pulls water in and pushes it up to the engine where the motor water pump will circulate it. Seems that a garden hose would push water up to the motor.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If the impeller blades broke off and plugged the water passage,all the hose in the world would not let water pass through. Then the housing in the upper gearcase melts also. Seen it happen before.

LX Kid

Ensign
If the impeller blades broke off and plugged the water passage,all the hose in the world would not let water pass through. Then the housing in the upper gearcase melts also. Seen it happen before.

I was going to pull the lower off today but decided to wait until next week when the impeller kit arrives. Don't want all the parts laying around and will replace lower same day. After 4 or even maybe five years of not changing the impeller I bet I'll find it to be my problem. But now I have new elbows installed and will have new impeller kit and all will be good. (Till the next mechanical disaster.)

This is what it looked like the when I first started the restoration a few years back. Had a longer skeg added on also.

S6001068.jpg

S6001063.jpg

S6001074.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Somebody correct me, but isn't that a late model R,MR,Alpha case with the angled skeg and the square tail enf?
How come it has a driveshaft with a preload pin?
whats the part number of the water pump kit you bought?

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
Somebody correct me, but isn't that a late model R,MR,Alpha case with the angled skeg and the square tail enf?
How come it has a driveshaft with a preload pin?
whats the part number of the water pump kit you bought?
(Mercruiser Impeller Repair Kit with Top Housing for MC-1/R/MR/Alpha One) That is the title that was on the Amazon listing that I ordered. They did not list the part number.

The old skeg was cut off and a new longer one was welded on.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Why would someone cut a skeg off? It most likely got broken off. What is the reason for a longer skeg?

LX Kid

Ensign
Why would someone cut a skeg off? It most likely got broken off. What is the reason for a longer skeg?

The tip was broken off before I owned it. I have a Balistic SS prop and it gives a little better prop protection.

LX Kid

Ensign
Wow! How fast that shipping was. Parts weren't supposed to be here until next week. Now I can drop the lower outdrive and see how bad my pump looks. Try and get some pics posted tomorrow.