Winterize Mercruizer

davenovascotia

Recruit
I just winterized my Mercruizer 3.0L including flushing out the water with -50 RV antifreeze using the engine muffs, changed the oil, fogged the engine etc. it was all good to go, then I noticed it was sitting really crooked on the trailer so I back the boat into fresh water until it floated, I repositioned it and pulled the trailer the back out, I didn't start it, it was in the water for maybe 3 minutes. It was sitting nice and even on the trailer and then I thought, I probably should have done that before I flushed out the engine. Is there any chance water could get back in and should I get some more RV antifreeze and flush out again or is that not necessary? If anyone has thoughts let me know. - Dave

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Did you drain the block and manifolds before running the -50 through it?? If you didn't you have to drain the block and manifolds first. Just by background ng it in,the only place that got water in it is the lower unit/impeller area. That should drain on its own when trimmed down for storage.

ziggy

Admiral
^^^yep^^^
including flushing out the water with -50 RV antifreeze using the engine muffs,
ya need to drain it using the block and manifold drains (maybe other points too, see your s/m for exact details for your systems)(pulling the big hose on the water pump, oil coolers on some boats). flushing the water out w/antifreeze will not 'flush' all the water out. agian, ya got to drain the water out of it.
Is there any chance water could get back in and should I get some more RV antifreeze and flush out again or is that not necessary?
yep w/ g1&g2 on that too. with the drive down, gravity will get rid of the water. as for more anti freeze, ya didn't need the anti freeze in the first place, ya need to drain the water out of it. anti freeze is optional and not particularity necessary. i drain mine and store it with air. it's not seen anti freeze in years.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Where do you people find such bad instructions on winterizing boat motors. That is the quickest way to a replacement engine.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
please remove the blue drain plugs from the engine, manifold, and front circulating hose and oil cooler hose or you may have to spend $2000 for a block and another $2000 for installation. Whoever told you to use propolyne glycol-50 must live in a mild climate. that stuff begins freezing above 0 degrees. place a cup in your freezer and tell me if you trust it in your engine block.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Where do you people find such bad instructions on winterizing boat motors. That is the quickest way to a replacement engine.

You would be surprised. I get "Boating" magazine every month, and every month it's loaded with errors. This months issue has a section on winterizing, as it does every time this time of year, and even that is loaded with bad information.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I just winterized my Mercruizer 3.0L including flushing out the water with -50 RV antifreeze using the engine muffs, ..............................................................Is there any chance water could get back in and should I get some more RV antifreeze and flush out again or is that not necessary? If anyone has thoughts let me know. - Dave

Dave,

Like EVERYONE SAID ABOVE.........the water never left the engine!! It'll STILL be in there if you don't drain it!

AND if you don't drain it, you'll be replacing the engine next Spring.

You have been warned!

Regards,

Rick

Turbo-Duck

Cadet
If you flushed with AF - pull all the drain plugs and you're good to go. I personally remove all of the drain plugs, remove the lower hose, and unbolt the thermostat cover.

And, you will not have introduced any water into the engine by backing it down in to re-seat it on the trailer. As long as you didn't start it.