1990 5.0 LX - Wiring Diagram

lcochrane

Cadet
I was wondering if anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram for the above mentioned motor. It is equipped with a dual battery setup...I only used one battery this past season...it had three black wires of varying sizes..assuming one is a ground. I found a positive coming off the switch for the other battery, but no negative to be seen. I did find a stray black wire in the battery compartment/area. Is there something out there that might help me?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
generally speaking there are 3 red cables on the switch,"C" goes to the engine, "1" goes to battery 1, "2" goes to battery 2. the neg posts of
the batteries are connected together with a battery cable and there is a battery cable going to the engine block

lcochrane

Cadet
That seems to make sense...so the black wire I found just sitting in the battery compartment/area goes from one negative post to the other?

lcochrane

Cadet
So the switch has an all setting too...I am assuming I can switch it to that and not damage system and it would be a good thing.

finnstar

Cadet
Hi there! You should not use "ALL" setting on the switch unless you have both batteries connected. Because you would have a unconnected positive cable with 12v lying around there. But buy another battery and connect it the way BT Doctur said. buy a one that is equal amps to no 1 and check the terminal positions for the cables (left/right) before buying. It´s always better to have 2 of ém. one for the engine, one for fun :)