Mercruiser 140 water in oil

Pikers

Recruit
I have a 1986 mercruiser 140 with an alpha 1 outdrive. I was having trouble trying to start it one day when I noticed that there was water in my engine oil. After draining it there was probably close to 4 litres of water that was in there. So I put new oil in, went for maybe a 2 minute ride and parked my boat back in my slip and checked the oil again and it looked fine. So when I came back the next day the boat didnt want to start again. I took the dip stick out and water started to come out the dipstick hole again. After i seen that I just paddled the boat out. Pumped the oil out again, and again there was probably 4-5 litres of water there. The water still looked clear. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1986 mercruiser 140 with an alpha 1 outdrive. I was having trouble trying to start it one day when I noticed that there was water in my engine oil. After draining it there was probably close to 4 litres of water that was in there. So I put new oil in, went for maybe a 2 minute ride and parked my boat back in my slip and checked the oil again and it looked fine. So when I came back the next day the boat didnt want to start again. I took the dip stick out and water started to come out the dipstick hole again. After i seen that I just paddled the boat out. Pumped the oil out again, and again there was probably 4-5 litres of water there. The water still looked clear. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.

:welcome: to iboats

Probably one of two ways for the water to enter the oil. Either have a bad exhaust system (primary) and next would be cracked engine block, head gasket or head. To rule out the head/block run a compression test. To check the exhaust, pull some plugs and see if way comes out

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yup,compression/leakdown tests are needed to find where the problem area is.

Pikers

Recruit
Thanks guys, I was thinking about doing the compression test too. I will have to wait till next weekend to get one. Probably a good place to start. Thanks again.

ziggy

Admiral
look at 23 and 16 from Don S' sticky. good stuff for water in the oil. imho, good that yer changing yer oil out after finding water in the oil. 1st step is to save the engine. ya done good there i think.
fwiw, i got water in the oil too when i first got my boat. it's was about the same age as yer boat. i needed a manifold, did the riser to just to make sure. no problems since. i tested my manifold by removing it and filling the water jacket w/ water. next day the water was gone and the exhaust runner was filled. the leak had been discovered. plane rusted out. water seeping trough the rusted out area.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Like Ziggy says - the first step is to protect the engine. You need to pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet. You certainly do not want to wait till next weekend. That needs to be done as soon as possible.

Pikers

Recruit
Ok, so There was water in the cylinders, and compression test didnt go well. I decided to just winterize it and when putting antifreeze in the hoses the antifreeze made its way into the cylinder and crankcase. Not looking good. Thanks again for the info.