Parts in lower unit oil

Ws6ta48119

Recruit
I changed the lower unit oil today and when I pulled the drain plug the was a small, about half inch pin stuck to the drain plug, boat ran fine last time out, the old fluid looked good no other metal shavings I looked at the exploded view of the lower unit in the service manual and it appears to be a "cross pin" that goes through the "sliding clutch" and is suppose to have a "retainer spring" around it and then I noticed the prop shaft slides in and out half to three quarters of an inch, I have a pretty high mechanical knowledge except with cars I'm sort of new to boating this season, is this a difficult repair taking apart the lower unit? It's an alpha 1 mercruiser 3.0 in a 91 Larson

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the drain plug magnet for catching debris has come lose from the drain plug. Look for a hole that the pin fits in on the inside flat of the drain plug.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the drain plug magnet for catching debris has come lose from the drain plug. Look for a hole that the pin fits in on the inside flat of the drain plug. The magnet is approx 3/32" diameter.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that pin you refer to is about a 1/4 inch in dia and about a 1 1/8 long. more likely your looking at the magnetic pin that goes in a hole in the drain plug

thumpar

Admiral
I have read that in some drives the magnet pin is too long. Maybe that style won't work in your drive.