Base timing a 3.0 mercruiser. need clarification please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
ok, manual says to conect the 2 white leads with a jumper. then bypass the shift interrupt switch as follows-- A. disconect interrupt switch, B. temporarily join the engine harness wires together. That is the part I would like some clarification on please. not sure what engine harness wires they are refering to?? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
ok, manual says to conect the 2 white leads with a jumper. then bypass the shift interrupt switch as follows-- A. disconect interrupt switch, B. temporarily join the engine harness wires together. That is the part I would like some clarification on please. not sure what engine harness wires they are refering to?? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Not knowing what year your engine is I'm going to guess it is after 1998. If this is the case there are two plugs on the distributer, one of which has three wires coming from it and two of them are not connected to anything. The wires should be white and they get connected together to put the engine in base timing mode.

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
ok, it says, (and im starting at number 3.) 3. Install a jumper wire between the two white leads on the distributor. 4. Bypass the shift interrupt switch, as follows A. disconnect wires at shift interrupt switch/ B. Temporarily Join the Engine Harness wires together. then it says "Important". Do not fail to reconnect theese two wires to the shift interrupt switch when timing procedures are complete...
so, my motor does have the 2 white wires hanging off the distributor, and I would put a jumper between them. But what are they talking about specificly when they are saying Join the engine harness wires together in part B of Step 4.??? are they refering to the shift interrupt wires??? should they be joined together?? just use a jumper across the posts on the conector??

alldodge

Staff member
ok, it says, (and im starting at number 3.) 3. Install a jumper wire between the two white leads on the distributor. 4. Bypass the shift interrupt switch, as follows A. disconnect wires at shift interrupt switch/ B. Temporarily Join the Engine Harness wires together. then it says "Important". Do not fail to reconnect theese two wires to the shift interrupt switch when timing procedures are complete...
so, my motor does have the 2 white wires hanging off the distributor, and I would put a jumper between them. But what are they talking about specificly when they are saying Join the engine harness wires together in part B of Step 4.??? are they refering to the shift interrupt wires??? should they be joined together?? just use a jumper across the posts on the conector??

This all deals with the shift interrupter wires. Your disconnecting the shift interrupt wires from the switch. Then connect the wires coming from the harness going to the switch together. And don't forget to reconnect when done

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
There should be 2 wires from the shift interrupt switch that lead to bullet connectors hooking the interrupt switch to the engine wiring harness. Unplug these connectors and plug the two engine harness wires together. If your interrupt switch uses "posts on the connector" it is probably not the model your manual is talking about and you need a different procedure.

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
ok fellas, thank you very much. that is what i suspected but didnt want to go jumping things and short them out or cause damage to the ignition module.

So To Recap. disconect the shift interrupt and jump its 2 wires. ( if applicable ) Right?

mine has the 2 white wires hanging out and the shift interrupt has a bullet conector. ( will double check that ).

alldodge

Staff member
ok fellas, thank you very much. that is what i suspected but didnt want to go jumping things and short them out or cause damage to the ignition module.

So To Recap. disconect the shift interrupt and jump its 2 wires. ( if applicable ) Right?

mine has the 2 white wires hanging out and the shift interrupt has a bullet conector. ( will double check that ).

Correct

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
ok, once again thank you very much, just wanted some clarification so i dont short anything or damage the ignition module.

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
posting a update. I was confused about the shift interupt. (mostly by that guys utube video.) for the benifit of others i would like to point out that the shift interupt wires refered to in the manual are on the top of the motor. I was confused and thaught it was refering to the bullet conector at the distributor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you start engine before connecting the wires to put it into base timing mode.

StrawBeanpole

Recruit
"B Temporarily join the engine harness wires together" I still don't get it... Which engine harness wires are being referred to? If the shift interrupt wires are joined (harness side) then the engine won't run; so there must be some other engine harness wires that is being referred to? Please advise, thx

Status
Not open for further replies.