Just winterized, what color is your marine oil?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
So I just got my boat winterized. It was done at a reputable shop, so I believe that everything was done correctly. Before I backed it into my garage, I opened the engine compartment and looked over and decided to check the oil level. I noticed that the oil isn't the typical amber color that the synthetic I run in all my cars is. So, I know the marine spec may be a little different, but is this normal? It didn't stink or anything, but it didn't look like I expected. I know that they ran it up to temperature after changing the fluids before fogging and draining.

I was curious what color everyone elses engine oil looks like when it is changed - bright amber, brown, black, etc. I would call mine a very dark brown right now.

tpenfield

Staff member
golden/amber . . . and it tastes pretty good too.

Did you happen to notice what color the oil was before going into the shop?

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All depends on the color of the oil that was taken out!

If that was dark to black it won't take long for the new oil to darken up.

ziggy

Admiral
Your not looking at the gear lube bottle and green oil are you?
and if it wasn't synthetic, just premium gear lub, it'd be dark amber.
that said, after i change my engine oil, it's light amber, mercury 25w40, like can't hardly see it on the stick. prior to change it's usually dark brown to black after a season of use. on my old 75 engine...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So, assuming engine oil... The color of the oil means absolute zilch, zero, nadda, about the condition of the oil. Of course, if you are talking gear lube, it better be pretty close to the same color that went in. (either green or amber, depending on quality) If it is anything but, it means you have water or other contaminates in there.

NHGuy

Captain
If you want it to get cleaner next go round, put in half a can of Seafoam for 15 or 20 minutes before you change the oil next time.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I was looking at the engine oil. I know that color technically doesn't mean squat, but I feel better when it "looks" cleaner. It was pretty dark before changed. I may actually change it mid season next year because of my obsession with clean looking oil.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use the merc 25W40 and it's a light amber. Actually it's almost clear when looking at the dip stick reading

Maclin

Admiral
I cannot remember any engine having anything but amber/clear oil on the dipstick after an oil change and before running it..just sayin'.