Has this happened to anyone?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was replacing my ujoints and I couldn't get the c-clips to seat properly. Pressed in one side and set the clip which left not quite enough room for the other c-clip.While tapping one side over the other clip would come un seated.I struggled with this for a while until I noticed a little gear lube coming out from around the bearing carrier seal.Is it likely that I messed up the seal with all the tapping on the yoke while the drive was in the bench? It was pressure tested prior to the ujoint work.My plan is to drain the drive and re pressure test it although Im sure it is leaking. Do you think it is a simple case of resealing the upper,or do you think I did damage to the yoke itself?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've had that happen when R/R'ing U-joints in a truck. One of the rollers was between the yoke end and the cap. I was using the hammer method. Since then I switched to using a vice and never had the problem again. Anyway, something to check if the caps don't fully seat.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, me too, one of the rollers dislodged, was crosswise and kept the cap from seating.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just kept thinking,howd I f that up.So I kept after it and when I opened the other ujoint I realized the c clips were just a tiny bit thinner.When installed they had positive engagement and I just need 4 more clips of the same thickness. Still got to deal with the seal but I have solved one of my problems.