Corrosion Mercruiser Outdrive

ronaca88

Seaman Apprentice
I tried to do a research on what kind of anodes does my outdrive have, but I have no luck.

The problem is that I start seeing a little corrosion on my outdrive and it is just 6 months old. I use my boat mostly on salt water and I know that I should have and specific kind of anodes.

The question is, If I have never change my anodes, what kind of anodes does Mercury put on the engines when they are new?

Should I change them for another kind of anodes for salt water?

Best regards

Attachments

• photo211215.jpg
    photo211215.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211217.jpg
    photo211217.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211218.jpg
    photo211218.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211220.jpg
    photo211220.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Aluminum is the only anode that is safe for all applications. ask Merc what they put on a new drive.... corrosion can not be avoided....if you trailer it, after every dunk spray drive off with fresh water...

Last edited:

ronaca88

Seaman Apprentice
Actually it is a ritual for me, every use I rinse all the boat with fresh water and soap incluiding the trailer. I just think It was a premature corrosion in the outdrive cause but the incorrecto material of anodes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks more like some paint discoloration . . .not sure about actual corrosion. Aluminum Anodes for salt water. The ones you have do not look to be adequate.

ronaca88

Seaman Apprentice
I asked Mercury about which anodes I have just to make sure. If they are not aluminum I will change them.

Best regards and thanks

thumpar

Admiral
Try washing it off. It looks more like it is from water getting on the drive and evaporating when it gets warm. My Bravo does that.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yeah, that looks like minerals left behind when water evaporates off a warm drive. (I've seen some suggestions that if you have a lot of mineral buildup, your drive may be running warm and you could be a good candidate to add a drive shower, but I don't think everyone believes in the value of a shower.) More likely to happen, I think, if you're near the max HP rating for the drive (e.g., 300 HP on an Alpha 1) and you do a lot of extended running as planing speed.

My drive gets that buildup and it comes off with either strong vinegar or CLR.

Jim

ronaca88

Seaman Apprentice
Well, Mercury answer me and It turns that my outdraive HAVE aluminum anodes so, I am not concern any more about not having the right protection. I will try to wash it off like THUMPAR and JASINIL2006 said.

Thanks for the help guys.

thumpar

Admiral
Most recommend Aluminium unless you have shore power and no galvanic isolation.

ETA:

You could also add a Mercathode. I don't think most Alphas come with it from the factory.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That is scale, not corrosion. You could add a million magnesium anodes (the metal with the lowest nobility) and it wouldn't change anything... As already said, use the anodes supplied by Merc, and some MILD acid to washer the scale off...

Chris.........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you boat long distances in salt with your alpha, the drive gets a bit warm, the spray evaporates and leaves behind the white salt.

it is a bugger to get off. I added a drive shower to my Alpha on my old searay to prevent the build-up. Added benefit, it also kept the drive nice and cool. I run for an hour straight at about 35mph between my ramp and where I liked to beach the boat.