"Clattering" noise in Alpha One Outdrive.

Dave WJ

Cadet
Pulled the outdrive off my Mercruiser 470 to determine if noise was from engine or outdrive. As soon as it separated, rusty water ran out of the u-joint bellows. Ran it with outdrive off with hose water. No "clacking" noise. As soon as I saw the rusty water I felt pretty sure it was an outdrive noise. What I found was the gimbal bearing was trashed. It has about 1/16" slop when I stick two fingers in and turn and wiggle it. Of course the u-joints looked like they were covered with mud, due to, I assume, rust sticking to the grease. The 'clackity' sound I was hearing wasn't a steady 'growl' like I would think a trashed bearing would sound, so I thought the u-joints would be trashed too. I know you can't tell by 'feel', but they feel smooth with no play. Question is, is it probable u-joints are trashed too? How do I tell if they are trashed? I will put a new seawater impeller unit in, but is there anything else I should check for, noise or otherwise, while I have it down? Thanks much.

thumpar

Admiral
I would replace the u-joints and gimbal bearing. You may also need a new input shaft and seal. The shaft can get rusty and ruin the seal.

Dave WJ

Cadet
No Title

If I'm understanding, it doesn't appear the water got past the bearing and rusted the shaft, even with it really trashed. Is this the input shaft? Are the 'seals' the o-rings on the shaft? Here is pic of u-joints and shaft - I think. Seeing this, does prior advice still apply?

Attachments

• photo211005.jpg
    photo211005.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1

Lewis1111

Seaman
I would agree with Thumpar, time to replace the U-Joints and gimball brg....While your in there replace the U joint bellows and even the exhaust bellows if you can. No sense in putting it back together and have more water leak in......

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I have used speedi sleeves for various things and they work well. But in this case, you can buy a new yoke for not much more than a speedi sleeve. You can even buy a complete kit that has a new yoke, 2 u joints, plus all the gaskets and seals needed for only $99.95. It's a pretty good deal. Click here for the deal.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The seal is on the other end where the shaft goes into the driveshaft housing (upper). That seal keeps in the outdrive oil. When water gets in the bellows it can rust the surface under the seal and the rusty surface causing the seal to fail. You have to remove the retainer to replace the seal. Yeah fishermark that is not a bad price.

Dave WJ

Cadet
I now know where the input shaft & seal mentioned above are located. Thanks. That kit above Fishermark links to seems like a REALLY good deal, and I would have already ordered it, but I am wondering how does one know the quality of something like this? I know for some items people recommend only OEM parts, and for others, they say about all aftermarket parts do just find. Any opinions on U joints and a kit such as this? ....... learning as I go .....

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I have ordered parts from them in the past. In fact, I believe the last yoke I ordered was from them. It fit just fine. The seal is good as well as it is the newer style with a double seal. U joints are U joints. The primary things I stick with for the OEM are the shift cable and drive bellows.

NHGuy

Captain
if the ujoints have no play and work like butter you can keep them. but they can't have side, fore & aft, or rotational play. You can change them on a bench with a ball joint press. The presses are free to borrow at auto parts stores.

Dave WJ

Cadet
Thanks guys. I already ordered the kit above (and a few other things, including bellows) before I saw these last 2 replies. Will let you know how things turn out.