So, did I ruin my bell housing?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Changing the bellows and doing "the right thing" by changing the shift cable too. Well, that brass fitting where the shift cable connects to the bell housing sheered off. You know, the one where you need the really deep socket. When I turn the deep socket, the cable casing spins with it so I thought it was backing out. Then I realized the brass nut part just snapped off.
What do I do now? Try to get it out with an easy-out?

alldodge

Staff member
Changing the bellows and doing "the right thing" by changing the shift cable too. Well, that brass fitting where the shift cable connects to the bell housing sheered off. You know, the one where you need the really deep socket. When I turn the deep socket, the cable casing spins with it so I thought it was backing out. Then I realized the brass nut part just snapped off.
What do I do now? Try to get it out with an easy-out?

IS this an Alpha or Bravo?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Old casing still there. Both sides (of bell housing)
The cable casing is completely out of the boat. The bell housing is removed too.
I turn the deep socket and the whole cable casing whips around.

alldodge

Staff member
Old casing still there. Both sides (of bell housing)
The cable casing is completely out of the boat. The bell housing is removed too.
I turn the deep socket and the whole cable casing whips around.

Can you hold the casing with anything to keep it from turning?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
So you broke off the hex, but the threaded body stayed in the bellhousing right? Take it to a machine shop and let them do it.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You should be able to screw it out by turning the cable instead the hex nut

the cable casing just spins.
I'm gonna sleep on it. Maybe get the casing out of the way and try very carefully to remove the soft brass with a straight fluted easy out.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If it doesn't come out easy, I'm gonna have to take stonyloam's advice and look for a machine shop

fishrdan

Admiral
Snip the cable casing off and get it out of the way. Snap some pics so we can see what's going on. You say the "brass nut part" snapped off, so I'm guessing the threaded part is stuck in the bell housing.

If the threads are stuck in the housing, I'd,,, heat up the remainders of the brass fitting with a torch, soak in PB Blaster, then use left handed drill bits to start drilling the fitting out. Hopefully, it would back itself out with the left handed drill bits. Otherwise, it could get to the point where the fitting is drilled enough to where the threads of the fitting can be picked out of the casting threads.

If you're not comfortable with doing this, but all means, haul it down to the machine shop. Their $50+- charge to remove the fitting is going to be cheaper than if you ruin the housing and need to buy a replacement... Be aware that if the threads need to be cleaned up, this is going to require a special 1/4-18 NPSF tap, don't use a tapered pipe thread tap (something good to know if hauling it down to the machine shop).

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Snip the cable casing off and get it out of the way. Snap some pics so we can see what's going on. You say the "brass nut part" snapped off, so I'm guessing the threaded part is stuck in the bell housing.

If the threads are stuck in the housing, I'd,,, heat up the remainders of the brass fitting with a torch, soak in PB Blaster, then use left handed drill bits to start drilling the fitting out. Hopefully, it would back itself out with the left handed drill bits. Otherwise, it could get to the point where the fitting is drilled enough to where the threads of the fitting can be picked out of the casting threads.

If you're not comfortable with doing this, but all means, haul it down to the machine shop. Their $50+- charge to remove the fitting is going to be cheaper than if you ruin the housing and need to buy a replacement... Be aware that if the threads need to be cleaned up, this is going to require a special 1/4-18 NPSF tap, don't use a tapered pipe thread tap (something good to know if hauling it down to the machine shop).

Good advice. Yes, the threaded part is stuck in there. I'll cut the cable casing off and snap some pictures. I don't own left hand drills, so I'll have to get them. Hope I can find them locally, if not it will be online. And knowing the proper thread size is a big help. Thanks for that too. I know my limits, so I will give it a go. It's going to be like surgery. Taking care to not damage the threads. If it starts to get ugly, then I'll have to find a machine shop.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
whats your exact location? forget the left hand drills and easy outs. get the old casing out by cutting it and pulling out the remaninder.
use the correct size drill bit for 1/4 inch pipe thread, and use the straight 1/4 -18 NPSTtap to retap the threads

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
... use the straight 1/4 -18 NPSTtap to retap the threads

That's probably a typo. It should be 1/4 - 18 NPSF. (Just don't want to confuse poconojoe as he goes looking for the part. ;) ).
And the chances are good you will not find it at your local hardware store. It will be a specialty tool you will either need to order online or find a well supplied hardware store. But yes, it is necessary. (You will find some online who say you can safely use a tapered tap. DO NOT DO IT! That will certainly ruin your bell housing.)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
OK, the operation was a success!
Lots of careful drilling, picking, and thread chasing.
Took me a long time, but I wanted to be careful.
I don't wish this on anyone!
Anyway, thanks for all the replies. All great ideas. I was hoping for some miracle magic idea that someone had up their sleeve, but I had to just bear down and just pick away.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, I forgot to mention...After drilling I was able to reduced the thickness of the brass by using a cylindrical grinding stone on a dremel. It was a lot safer and more precise than trying another sized drill.