Water in U-joint bellows... Shift shaft seal questions

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have a similar situation but I didn't want to hijack pnhigg's post.
I too had water laying in my u-joint bellows. All three bellows need replacement due to cracking.
I just want to make sure I find the exact reason for the presence of water.
Would there be any chance that water can enter through the shift shaft? I assume there is an upper and lower seal where the shaft passes through the upper and lower walls of the exhaust chamber. If so, the upper seal just looks like a clump of corroded junk.
I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I'll try to post a pic.

Attachments

• photo210732.jpg
    photo210732.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo210733.jpg
    photo210733.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I would certainly suggest putting a new shaft seal there. Go ahead and put the new style on as it incorporates two seals. But I don't believe that was the cause of any water in the bellows. If the shift shaft seal leaks water can get in and cause problems in the shift slide cavity area... but not the main bellows as the big square rubber ring seals that area.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I recently replaced the upper and lower shaft seals on my latest project:

2014-03-30155008_zps2e0554fb.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
water in the main bellow:
high bilge level
damaged gasket ,rubber ring ,improper installation of ring
hole in bellow
improper installation of bellow

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ok, thanks for the reply. I figured it would be a good idea to replace those seals. I looked up the part number and found OEM 23-806036A1 but I don't know if it's the new style as you mentioned.
I see there is a special driver tool. Is it used to remove or install?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
water in the main bellow:
high bilge level
damaged gasket ,rubber ring ,improper installation of ring
hole in bellow
improper installation of bellow

All three bellows are showing signs of age. The inner folds look cracked, so hopefully bellows replacement will cure the problem.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
All three bellows are showing signs of age. The inner folds look cracked, so hopefully bellows replacement will cure the problem.

99% of the time it is a bad / torn bellows. (Of course, I read somewhere that 84% of all statistics are made up. :D ).

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
On the tool - I simply made my own by grinding down the end of a large bolt so that it fits inside the hole. (So that it looks like the tool pictured here). And yes, the tool is to install the bushing. Remove both bushings, install the top one, then the bottom one. Pretty easy.

bellhsgbushings4.jpg

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
That tool looks like something we use at work, although I don't know the dimensions. The tool we use comes in different sizes and is used to install anchors (for installing bolts) into concrete. It's a "set tool". You hit it with a hammer to set the anchor in the concrete.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you don't want to buy the $25 tool, you can just use a 6-7 inch long 3/8ths bolt. Slide it up through the bottom hole and screw a nut and place a washer on the end leaving 1/2 inch of bolt thread sticking through. Set the upper seal on the thread and tap into place from the bottom. Just be careful the threads don't grab the seal lips. The washer will protect the thin outer portion of the seal housing.

Last edited: