Running too cool - need specific thermostat

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All. My Mercruiser L6 250 4.1 L is running too cool. Be aware that this engine was rebuilt and upgraded to a 4 barrel carb.

What's happening is when I am able to heat the engine up a few extra degrees (long run below planing speed) - she get's up to around 145+ degrees and there is a significant performance increase. I believe from the fuel vaporizing a little more in a warmer intake. Normal running temp "appears" to be just below 140. The thermo in there is new.

I've tried to find a thermo at around 160+ (stock is 140 which are easy to get). I've shopped everywhere but cannot find one. The 160's (or any other) are of a different style. (larger)

Before I make some form of adapter - or inline thermo - does anyone know where I can get a 160+/- thermo like the one below ??

Thx

Attachments

• photo210728.jpg
    photo210728.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Hi All. My Mercruiser L6 250 4.1 L is running too cool. Be aware that this engine was rebuilt and upgraded to a 4 barrel carb.

What's happening is when I am able to heat the engine up a few extra degrees (long run below planing speed) - she get's up to around 145+ degrees and there is a significant performance increase. I believe from the fuel vaporizing a little more in a warmer intake. Normal running temp "appears" to be just below 140. The thermo in there is new.

I've tried to find a thermo at around 160+ (stock is 140 which are easy to get). I've shopped everywhere but cannot find one. The 160's (or any other) are of a different style. (larger)

Before I make some form of adapter - or inline thermo - does anyone know where I can get a 160+/- thermo like the one below ??

Thx

Unable to find the style in the pic but here is one which indicates it is for the 250 L6 engine
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-300/applications/make/chevrolet/engine-size/4-1l-250

IMO a 4-barrell carb on that engine will do nothing except cause you to burn more fuel, unless you have done some major changes inside

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the link - I don't see the size specs so I don't know if it will physically fit.

The 4 barrel was one of many changes (cam etc.) - I was able to go up 2" on the prop while maintaining the same RPM - also under load (skiing) she has more torque. love it!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the link - I don't see the size specs so I don't know if it will physically fit.

The 4 barrel was one of many changes (cam etc.) - I was able to go up 2" on the prop while maintaining the same RPM - also under load (skiing) she has more torque. love it!

Looks like you did the work to be able to use the carb.

What year is your engine?

alldodge

Staff member
The thermostat I linked to is the standard 2 1/8 diameter, so probably won't work. Still looking but your engine year would help

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, since your going outside the box of stock and looking for something a bit different, your thermostat sort of reminds me of a Volvo Penta thermostat that is more in the 160 range like this one. http://www.weserbootshop.de/Thermost...olvo-Penta-71C

And more importantly, if it turns out to be what your looking for size wise, it's also available here at iboats.:)
http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-3856961-...view_id.467892

You may have to walk your thermostat housing into an auto store like NAPA auto to find something that would fit.

Mercruiser part number 47594 is a bit warmer at 143 vs your stock 140. http://www.iboats.com/Thermostat-Sie...view_id.171849

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I would take it to NAPA along with your engine serial number. They are pretty good about figuring things out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look at the stant catalog. they made most of the thermostats and caps that went into the engines from day one.

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone for all the feedback and sorry for the late reply. The engine is mid 80's.

I've been to Napa with no luck.

Thanks for the links!! I think I should be able to find a match there and order a couple in.

And yes, the engine was rebuilt for the purpose of more vrooom! lol All the help came from iboats forums!