Engine Temp Rises/Overheats at Idle, Cools to Normal Temps while Moving...?

jts4486

Cadet
Thank you all again for the help correctly diagnosing the bad ground wire issue from my previous thread. Hopefully this issue is similarly easy to diagnose and fix.

As mentioned in the thread topic, my engine temperature rises/overheats at idle both in the driveway and in the water but cools to normal operating temps while moving. The boat had sat for 3 years prior to me buying it this summer. My research points to impeller as it sounds like sitting is not good for them.

I am guessing the impeller needs replacing. Does a bad impeller cause the issue I'm experiencing? Other possible causes or things to check?

Thank you in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you all again for the help correctly diagnosing the bad ground wire issue from my previous thread. Hopefully this issue is similarly easy to diagnose and fix.

As mentioned in the thread topic, my engine temperature rises/overheats at idle both in the driveway and in the water but cools to normal operating temps while moving. The boat had sat for 3 years prior to me buying it this summer. My research points to impeller as it sounds like sitting is not good for them.

I am guessing the impeller needs replacing. Does a bad impeller cause the issue I'm experiencing? Other possible causes or things to check?

Thank you in advance!

Ayuh,.... The impeller is Always the 1st place to look, in any overheat situation,....

thumpar

Admiral
The impeller should be replaced at least every other year. I would get the whole kit with the housing and everything since you don't know the history.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Have a look at my video up in the sticky section and you'll have an idea of what to look for once you start getting into the pump...

Chris....

NHGuy

Captain
Mine did that at one point when I had a tired impeller.

achris

Yep, tired impeller can't pump enough water at low speed ('displacement' mode), but once it's running a bit quicker (into 'centrifugal' mode) it pumps just fine...

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Full kit is on order. Thanks again! You guys are top shelf!
Pull hoses at risers/stat housing and see if passing water. Your cir pump may be worned. I had seals in one only a year old that went bad.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you in advance!
check balls...stretch the springs or replace

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had a similar situation after a Merc authorized shop installed a new impeller. The young, inexperienced and unsupervised tech did not reinstall the water tube properly after replacing the impeller. Not enough water was getting through to the engine at low RPM, but enough made it at higher RPM. Unlikely your problem, but I mention it for those readers who run into overheating problems after impeller replacement.

Last edited:

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I had a similar situation after a Merc authorized shop installed a new impeller. The young, inexperienced and unsupervised tech did not reinstall the water tube properly after replacing the impeller. Not enough water was getting through to the engine at low RPM, but enough made it at higher RPM. Unlikely your problem, but I mention it for those readers who run into overheating problems after impeller replacement.
That is why I DON'T let any person work on mine that I don't know for a long time.

achris

That is why I DON'T let any person work on mine that I don't know for a long time.

Ah, we have another certified Merc mechanic in our fold, excellent. We need all the qualified help we can get here... Thanks for putting your hand up as an experienced tech. Now, get to work. :D

Chris...... ;)

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Ah, we have another certified Merc mechanic in our fold, excellent. We need all the qualified help we can get here... Thanks for putting your hand up as an experienced tech. Now, get to work. :D

Chris...... ;)

Just yelled a lot of "aw-****" then solved it.