Engine Mount Nuts Loosening

TJ_Winns

Recruit
I started to winterize my boat and noticed the engine mount nut on the port side was loose and backed off about 1/4". Starboard engine mount was loose also but still in contact with lock washer. I have had the alignment check done every year since I owned the boat (it is a 2011) and I put about 50 hours/year on it. Is it common for these eng mnt nuts to loosen or is it a case of poor service (Mech not tightening)?

Bigger concern is if this resulted in additional wear or damage to engine coupler and/or Gimbal bearing ? Can this be determined by pulling the drive and inspect these parts? What do I look for to make sure the coupler and gimbal bearing are ok? As I see it under heavy acceleration (skiing) the engine torque would cause the enigine to lift off the mount ( because the port side nut was backed) off which would throw the alignment off.

Should confirming engine mount torque be part of the alignment process? I can see the mech pulling the drive, checking the alignment and if it checks OK, not doing anything to the engine mount nuts.

I have a 2011 Four Winns H180 LE Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen2

Bondo

Staff member
I started to winterize my boat and noticed the engine mount nut on the port side was loose and backed off about 1/4". Starboard engine mount was loose also but still in contact with lock washer. I have had the alignment check done every year since I owned the boat (it is a 2011) and I put about 50 hours/year on it. Is it common for these eng mnt nuts to loosen or is it a case of poor service (Mech not tightening)?

Bigger concern is if this resulted in additional wear or damage to engine coupler and/or Gimbal bearing ? Can this be determined by pulling the drive and inspect these parts? What do I look for to make sure the coupler and gimbal bearing are ok? As I see it under heavy acceleration (skiing) the engine torque would cause the enigine to lift off the mount ( because the port side nut was backed) off which would throw the alignment off.

Should confirming engine mount torque be part of the alignment process? I can see the mech pulling the drive, checking the alignment and if it checks OK, not doing anything to the engine mount nuts.

I have a 2011 Four Winns H180 LE Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen2

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I've Never seen motor mount nuts loosen on their own, so I'd guess they weren't tighten the last time it was adjusted,...

tpenfield

Staff member
If I recall correctly, the hold-down nuts are the 'ny-lock' style, so it would not be likely that they backed off on their own, as Bondo stated. I would not worry too much about damage, unless you notice adverse effects. Tighten that baby up and see how it goes.