4.3 MPI engine fuse blown?

kkalsch

Seaman
Was out Saturday running the boat on full plain when all of a sudden without warning the port engine just shut down -no beeps from smartcraft -it was like someone shut off a switch. Well the next day after a total fiasco getting the boat back to the dock-I had some time to check things out -on the port side exhaust manifold there is a bracket that has the ECM -2 relays and a little sealed box with 3 little fuses in it (20amp) one of the fuses was blown -put a new fuse in and it started right up! My question is what could of caused this fuse to blow? I want to fix it so it will not happen again and yes there will be a box of those fuses on board

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
weak fuse, a wiring short, bad gauge light, bad panel light, something wired to the ign circuit that shouldnt be.stereo,amp etc

alldodge

Staff member
Was out Saturday running the boat on full plain when all of a sudden without warning the port engine just shut down -no beeps from smartcraft -it was like someone shut off a switch. Well the next day after a total fiasco getting the boat back to the dock-I had some time to check things out -on the port side exhaust manifold there is a bracket that has the ECM -2 relays and a little sealed box with 3 little fuses in it (20amp) one of the fuses was blown -put a new fuse in and it started right up! My question is what could of caused this fuse to blow? I want to fix it so it will not happen again and yes there will be a box of those fuses on board

Thanks

+1 and will add, there are three fuses:

1) Fuel Pump
2) Injector Fuse, ECM, DLC, Battery
3) ECM Fuse, ECM/Ignition/Injector/Knock Sensor Module

If it was the fuel pump, then maybe it's starting to pull more current. What are the color wires coming from the fuse?

kkalsch

Seaman
Thank you for the info! I am hoping for the week fuse theory.... LOL I will be at the boat Saturday and report back what color wire went to the fuse that blew -when the fuse box is mounted to the bracket its the first fuse

BTW ..I did run the boat at the dock for 10 minutes after I put the new fuse in and it did not blow.....

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you for the info! I am hoping for the week fuse theory.... LOL I will be at the boat Saturday and report back what color wire went to the fuse that blew -when the fuse box is mounted to the bracket its the first fuse

BTW ..I did run the boat at the dock for 10 minutes after I put the new fuse in and it did not blow.....

It being a 20amp I'm would guess it's the fuel pump, but to be sure I would look for the color of wires. You could try this: turn key listen for the beeps and the fuel pump to turn on, you should hear both. Turn key off and pull the fuse, then turn key back on and listen for the same. My guess is you will hear the beeps but not the pump.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It being a 20amp I'm would guess it's the fuel pump, but to be sure I would look for the color of wires. You could try this: turn key listen for the beeps and the fuel pump to turn on, you should hear both. Turn key off and pull the fuse, then turn key back on and listen for the same. My guess is you will hear the beeps but not the pump.

All 3 are 20 amp fuses.

Which fuse blew? (also take note of the letters along the base of the holder A, B, C... F)

attachment.php

Chris....

Last edited: