for MPI engines code reader

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anyone suggest where you can get an inexpensive scanner or code reader for 1998 mpi engines to check things out and remove engine from limp mode instead of having a marina for 100 bucks a shot?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Inexpensive marine code reader are words that don't belong in the same sentence.

Are you getting an alarm, or are you trying to solve a problem?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Company name is Rinda Technologies. They are the only retailers of equipment for Merc engines. They have everything from the 'cheapest' code readers to the 'top of the line' laptop software (which is very nice :))

Chris....

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I can't take credit for this but here is how to make your own for a couple bucks. It will work on MEFI 1-4 I believe.

DIY Code Reader
Materials needed:

One 12volt resistor type LED light - Standard LED nothing special make sure it is a 12 VOLT
One small paper clip cut in half

That's it!

This home made code tool works every bit as well as the one I paid $50.00 for. It will work on most 1993 to 2000 marine EFI systems with the ten pin Data Link Connector. This includes MerCruiser, Volvo, Crusader, PCM, Indmar, and a few others.

How to hook it up:

1) Ignition key 'OFF"

2) Remove the cap from the Data Link Connector (DLC)

3) Slide the LED into the female terminals of position E and F on the DLC, making sure that the positive side goes into terminal F and the negative side into terminal E. No damage will occur if you get it backwards, it just won't work.

4) Turn the ignition key to the 'ON' position. The LED should come on steady.

5) Insert the half paper clip into terminals A and B. This puts the engine in 'Service Mode' and codes will begin to flash on the LED. On 1996 and earlier engines you may hear the fuel pump come on. If not you should be able to hear the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor move. Use care in this step, do not insert in the wrong terminals or ECM damage could result! Look closely, the terminals are clearly marked.

6) Read codes by observing LED flashs. If the self diagnostic system is working it will flash code 12 (one flash, pause, two flashes, long pause) it will repeat three times. If other codes are present they will flash in order of lowest to highest. Continue to read codes until the code 12 sequence is repeated.

You can also be clear codes (by moving the throttle to 100% and back) and set base timing while in Service Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHGuy

Captain
Can any one confirm that this is true? If so I would nominate it for placement in the top of the forum in the stickies.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have an MPI boat but that's pretty cool.

Now the question becomes, is there a site that lists the codes and what they stand for?

Fun Times

Staff member
Can any one confirm that this is true? If so I would nominate it for placement in the top of the forum in the stickies.
I thought everyone know about this trick by now!!! :D Just kidding with you.:)

I just did this 5 minutes ago on my 1996 5.7l EFI. Code 12 is the normal code for start of the codes. If there were any codes they would be after 12 and then go back to 12 and start over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GEO-dlbIg
I know there are a few of these same posts online in different forums including here on iboats. Where did you find the one in blue? Who is the author of this one?

Now the question becomes, is there a site that lists the codes and what they stand for?
Yes that info is possible to find online as well.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I thought everyone know about this trick by now!!! :D Just kidding with you.:)

I know there are a few of these same posts online in different forums including here on iboats. Where did you find the one in blue? Who is the author of this one?

Yes that info is possible to find online as well.

I found it from the Malibu forum but also read through the Offshore only forum. I don't know where it was originally posted. It is basically a poor mans Rinda code reader.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The list of fault codes for ECM/PCM 555 is 13 pages, and bears no resemblance to the MEFI codes. As for using a diode and paper clip, I have no idea if that works on the 555 controllers. Looking at the wiring diagram, and my own diagnostic software cable connector, there appears to be nowhere to connect for code indications by blinking diode.

So, it appears that the above technique will only work for MEFI systems, not 555 systems.

Chris.......

thumpar

Admiral
The list of fault codes for ECM/PCM 555 is 13 pages, and bears no resemblance to the MEFI codes. As for using a diode and paper clip, I have no idea if that works on the 555 controllers. Looking at the wiring diagram, and my own diagnostic software cable connector, there appears to be nowhere to connect for code indications by blinking diode.

So, it appears that the above technique will only work for MEFI systems, not 555 systems.

Chris.......
It only works on MEFI 1-4.