4 Cylinder Mercruiser Motor Compatibility

gear

Recruit
I have a 87 Rinker with a Mercruiser 130hp 3.0 W/Alpha 1 outdrive that I picked up on the cheap because of a 4 inch external block crack from poor winterization.
My friend has a 81 Wellcraft with a 140hp Mercruiser [ Not a Alpha One outdrive} that has a bad transom due to the p/o using a lag bolt on a swim platform.
Will the 140 be a direct drop in plug and play for my 130 3.0. Or will there be some unsuspected surprises. I JB Welded the crack and so far I put about 15+ hrs with no issues yet. Also considering having the crack stitched.
All input appreciated !!!!!!!
Thanks G

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe that you are ok, IIRC the 1-piece crank seal change was about 1990

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 87 Rinker with a Mercruiser 130hp 3.0 W/Alpha 1 outdrive that I picked up on the cheap because of a 4 inch external block crack from poor winterization.
My friend has a 81 Wellcraft with a 140hp Mercruiser [ Not a Alpha One outdrive** that has a bad transom due to the p/o using a lag bolt on a swim platform.
Will the 140 be a direct drop in plug and play for my 130 3.0. Or will there be some unsuspected surprises. I JB Welded the crack and so far I put about 15+ hrs with no issues yet. Also considering having the crack stitched.
All input appreciated !!!!!!!
Thanks G

Ayuh,.... No sense in havin' it stitched, the epoxy is holdin', Right,..??
So long as water ain't gettin' in the Oil, Run It,...
If it leaks again, Re-epoxy it,....

'n, Ya, yer bud's motor should plug, 'n play with yer cracked block,...
Ya might have to swap, or mix 'n match the accessories bolted To the block,....
Manifold,..?? Ignition,..?? etc,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The only major difference between the 81 and the 87 will be the back end of the engine. You'll need to swap the flywheel housing and coupler.

gear

Recruit
Ayuh,.... No sense in havin' it stitched, the epoxy is holdin', Right,..??
So long as water ain't gettin' in the Oil, Run It,...
If it leaks again, Re-epoxy it,....

'n, Ya, yer bud's motor should plug, 'n play with yer cracked block,...
Ya might have to swap, or mix 'n match the accessories bolted To the block,....
Manifold,..?? Ignition,..?? etc,...

External crack only. No moisture in the oil at all. I repaired a well pump in my shop w/JB when we lost power last winter and it froze and cracked big time. It gets a lot of use and usually runs @ 45 psi and off @ 60. The crack was drilled to stop it from spreading, v grooved with a high speed carbide then c grooved, v was injected with a syringe loaded w/ JB, dried for 24 hrs , then the c filled. We ran it hard this summer with no problems.

Bondo

Staff member
External crack only. No moisture in the oil at all. I repaired a well pump in my shop w/JB when we lost power last winter and it froze and cracked big time. It gets a lot of use and usually runs @ 45 psi and off @ 60. The crack was drilled to stop it from spreading, v grooved with a high speed carbide then c grooved, v was injected with a syringe loaded w/ JB, dried for 24 hrs , then the c filled. We ran it hard this summer with no problems.

Ayuh,.... Yer repair is probably Better than stitchin', or weldin',....

Stitchin' creates pressures in the wrong directions, 'n weldin' induces pressures the opposite way,....

Neither are Ideal,....

Epoxy is a Great compromise,... the Best answer most times,...

fishrdan

Admiral
Sounds like you did a good job of JB welding the crack. I'd run it until it drops, probably many years from now, and not due to the cracked block...